ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: DIY Zero Edge Aquarium

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Zero Edge Aquarium

I'm currently more then half way through building my plywood aquarium and I went looking at a aquatic store for fish ideas, and I stumbled upon a tank that was a 40 gallon zero edge aquarium and I instantly wanted it. I quickly found out it was $950 so I passed on it. But I'm kinda new to this site, so has anyone posted a thread on how to build this kind of aquarium yet???? I'd like to give it a shot one day.

Post Thanks / Like
    you could probably make one out of a sheet of acrylic, you would have to make a mold out of wood and then heat the acrylic in an oven and bend it around all the way so that the two ends come back and are flush with each over. I'm just throwing out this idea. But you would need a big oven lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd never thought of a zero edge aquarium, kinda cool. I'm thinking fiesta is thinking zero corner rather than an overflow infinity style aquarium (which I think you are referring to). I looked them up on the net and it seems they're ideal for reef tanks from their photos. There are some neat overflow designs out there. Either glass or acrylic should work, plywood could work, but it'd sort of defeat the purpose as far as looking into the main tank. I'd worry about fish jumping or "overflowing" to the colletion pool continuously with most fish. It'd be easy enough to do, just plumb it reverse flow style so the outlets come up from below in the main tank, gotta have check valves you can trust if you don't have a canister filter I'd suspect. Evaporation would be a definite issue. I'd be tempted to try to build a small one and just run it when I know I'll have guests, throw a couple of orandas it it that I'd normally keep elsewhere, so there'd be something cool to look at, don't know if I'd want to deal with it full time.

Post Thanks / Like
    they are actually very easy to build and infinity tank, I was thinking of building one myself for fresh water, I still might yet. I would put the stand pipes in the middle for your returns and design some kind of comb to keep the fish from jumping out of it or flowing over the side, would be nice for a planted tank.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow just looked these up.....
    Sweet!
    55 Gal. Pike cichlid, Jack dempsey, Demasoni, Convict Cichlid, Pleco X2 32 Gal. Knife fish, blood parrot, 5 tiger barbs, Chinese algae, bristle nose pleco, red tail shark and spotted cat.Current project, restoring ​a 106 Gal. Acrylic along with adding a 55 Gal. Refugium.

Post Thanks / Like
    if you do acyclic then you might not even need a oven. for a 40 gallon standard size you would only need about 3/8 size you could bend that with a heat gun over a block of wood.
    used aquarium price guide and equipment guide and how to bargain.
    http://www.diyfishkeepers.com/forum/...1009#post71009

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw one that was 300g + but the owner of the store did not know what the name of the style aquarium it was. But this is a must build for 2013.