THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New job, new DIY

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New job, new DIY

Cichlid, I told you the job is at Duke University :P

Fiesta, the LEDs should have 70% intensity at 10 years. If you keep them cool and underdrive them they should last much longer than that. They pay for themselves just in bulb costs at year 5 (add an $800 fixture to that equation and you can see how the savings really pile up). If you factor in electricity savings (not really a concern for me...) it's probably 3 years compared to metal halide or 4 years compared to T5's.
    240G SPS/LPS reef - tomato clowns& sebae nem, sunburst anthias, Powder B Tang, Royal Gramma, Desjardini Sailfin, Copperband, Spotfin, Moorish Idol Build thread Webcam will be back soon! Science news!

Post Thanks / Like

okay well what i don't unerstand (electricaly) is if i have 100W LEd setup why would it consume les electricity than, lets say a 100W halide light ??

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by h2so4hurts
    Cichlid, I told you the job is at Duke University :P

Fiesta, the LEDs should have 70% intensity at 10 years. If you keep them cool and underdrive them they should last much longer than that. They pay for themselves just in bulb costs at year 5 (add an $800 fixture to that equation and you can see how the savings really pile up). If you factor in electricity savings (not really a concern for me...) it's probably 3 years compared to metal halide or 4 years compared to T5's.
    LoL. Maybe they can help me with my reading skills, too!! Click here to enlarge
    55gal-Empty
    29gal-1 Albino B.nose Pleco, 3 WC Minnows, 3 Cherry Barbs, 2. G Dojo, 1-Cory, 3 H Rasbora

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fiesta90150
    okay well what i don't unerstand (electricaly) is if i have 100W LEd setup why would it consume les electricity than, lets say a 100W halide light ??
    Heat and water evaporation = running a chiller and using more water.

Also, a 250 watt halide bulb is roughly equivalent to 24-30 3W CREE LEDs. So you get the same amount of light out of the LEDs but at a cost of 80-100watts. Now, Wattage IS NOT a good measure of LED quality. Lumens and penetration are.
    240G SPS/LPS reef - tomato clowns& sebae nem, sunburst anthias, Powder B Tang, Royal Gramma, Desjardini Sailfin, Copperband, Spotfin, Moorish Idol Build thread Webcam will be back soon! Science news!

Post Thanks / Like

That is such a great argument point h2so4hurts, a buddy of mine has 2 250w halides over his 130 and is forced to run a chiller because of the heat. Well, the other day I was suggesting he switch to LEDs. Oh and before I forget, his chiller went bad while he was away, end result, losing 80% of his corals. Okay so, like I said I suggested LEDs and he said, "they're too expensive to purchase" Well this point in invalid when you take into the consideration, buying a new chiller, the cost of running the chiller, buying new halides bulbs every 10-12 months, the cost of running halides, also like you said, the water evap from the heat. I really do think in about a year from now there really will not be any solid reason to run halides instead of LEDs. I know some people say that LEDs still lack in some areas depending on what type of corals. But I def think halides are on there way out.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that halides have going for them is that some people think they "look" better (I don't think this, but many people do). Corals don't care where the light comes from as long as you hit the right light range to activate the chlorophyll in their algae.

Post Thanks / Like

how much ''LED watts'' would i need for a 360L reef tank? I was going simply for 1 watt / Liter

Post Thanks / Like

I think the dimensions are more important than the actual capacity.
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like

Again, watts are not a good measure of LED quality...

What are the length, width, and depth measurements. Depth determines how many LEDs you'll need per square foot of LxW. On a 24" tall tank, you want 12 3W CREE LEDs per square foot. So for my new tank, that comes out to 192 LEDs [(8'x2')x12LEDs]. This build has 216 because I wanted a little extra power Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

ok thaks i'll pm you

Post Thanks / Like

sent you a messge but i think i'm having problems with my PM box

Post Thanks / Like

Just do length x width=X then X times 6-12 LEDs. Example, my tank is 3ft x 1.5ft= 4.5ft 4.5 x 8 LEDs= 36
    Join the darkside.

Post Thanks / Like

i have lol just sent hima pm to see if al lwas correct cause i hat to convert from cm to inches and stuff. I just don't want to trash his topic lol

Post Thanks / Like

Don't worry about threadjacking. I'm going to just start a new build thread for each part. It'll be easier to follow that way.

Your calculations were right!

Post Thanks / Like

Great i'll watch your setup and then go ahead with mine lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Ecotech mp60w ES in the house!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ecotech-Vortech ... 0911762528

Just won two of these on ebay...$450 off retail Click here to enlarge

My excel tally just hit $5700...It's worth it though...right? :P

Post Thanks / Like

you got the winning bid ?

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!!! 1000.00+ Ouch. I wish I had that money.
    Aqua Bridge:60 Hex, 55 gal and 75 gal w/Bichirs and Cichlids, filtered w/46 gal Sump/Refugium, DIY 5 gal canister, Cascade 1500 and Marineland C220. 5 gal column w/3 ADF's. 36 Bowfront w/ Fancy Guppies, Lemon Blue eyed BNP's. 26 Bowfront Growout/Hospital w/Fancy Guppy

Post Thanks / Like

But they are the top of the line water movers, and with an 8ft long tank, you need powerful pumps to get water moving at the center. Just glad I could get them for 30% off Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

well congrat then Click here to enlarge and the best part is the adrenalin of the bidding lol

Post Thanks / Like

Wow for $1000! That is about my total investment in my 125g reef tank and my 55g reef tank combined! I couldnt aford this hobby paying those prices. I have a lot of fun creigslist hunting though and I simply dont buy unless its pennies on the dollar. For example I have never paid more then a dollar a lb for live rock and that was live rock covered with mushrooms and polyps. Anyway not trying to go off topic.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
    I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
    Dr. Seuss

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of those few products that doesn't lose it's value. They retail $750 each... so a grand for two is a steal.

Post Thanks / Like

Acrylic sheets will be ready for pick up next week!! I have two huge orders coming in today and tomorrow.

The one thing I'm still deciding is how to plumb the returns. I'm going to plumb the overflows on the right side of the tank. Maybe it will turn into a peninsula tank. I just don't want to get into a situation where my bulkheads are backed against a wall and I can't get to them if there's an emergency. But then the return lines become tricky. I'm considering plumbing the returns through the top flange of the tank, because I don't want any pipes going through the bottom of the tank. They take up space and look ugly...

Click here to enlarge

The calculated head pressure with two 90 degree turns, vertical height of 5ft, horizontal length of 8ft, and 4 exits is just above 2000 gph. That's about right for a 240 gallon tank ~8x turn over (maybe a little too much).

Post Thanks / Like

What is a peninsula tank? and what is a reeflo dart (pump brand?) and the reactors?

Post Thanks / Like

Think florida...Surrounded by ocean on 3 sides. Same idea for a tank, 3 sides stick out into a room. They're nice because then you can view the tank from the two long sides.

Yes, the reeflo Dart is a brand of external pump rated for 4300 GPH at 0 feet. The reactors hold Granule Ferric Oxide (binds phosphate) and Pelletized activated carbon (ROX carbon).

Post Thanks / Like

okay i see. These reactors do you make these buy these? could you explain?

sorry for questions lol. I see people doing different things for SW sumps and i'm trying to figure out what i want to do

Post Thanks / Like

Two of these Reactors coming today or tomorrow:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reactors/ ... r-550.html

Couldn't find any used locally, they usually go for $25 used Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

and you can DIY these?

I guess these are optional as i haven't seen them before.?

Post Thanks / Like

You probably could, but I'd say my DIY plate is pretty full on this one.

Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks for explainning =)

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast