THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New job, new DIY

Post Thanks / Like

New job, new DIY

I interviewed for a new job a few weeks ago and loved the place. The fact that they had a 90 gallon saltwater tank in their lobby really sealed the deal. I told the director of the place about my fish tank and he basically told me that I had to bring it up with me and replace theirs. I was totally fine with that, so as a part of the salary negotiation process I got a fish tank budget Click here to enlarge The only problem is moving a 150 gallon fish tank a thousand miles in one day would be a huge task. Transferring everything from my 75 took 12 hours, so it would easily take that much time to break my tank down, and pack it all in a truck, and re-assemble it. Tack on a 10hr drive and we're talking about a sleepy and dangerous situation. The only solution I could think of was to build a new, bigger, tank and install it before I move up my fish, rock and corals...darn...

So the plan is to shoot for a 24"x24"x96" tank (~240 gallons). That way I'm not wasting sheets. The top and bottom will be 1/2" acrylic. I'm going to overbuild the sides with 3/4" just to be safe. I'm building a stand and canopy too so I'll probably be asking Aussie about which woods would be best for dark stain when I start wrapping the stand and canopy Click here to enlarge

This will be a full on pin method build. I'm also going to DIY a 5 gallon water jug skimmer, do a 150 x 3w CREE DIY led build from rapidLED, and build a "strong box" sump system with a refugium and bubble trap.

Get excited for an excessively long build thread...
    240G SPS/LPS reef - tomato clowns& sebae nem, sunburst anthias, Powder B Tang, Royal Gramma, Desjardini Sailfin, Copperband, Spotfin, Moorish Idol Build thread Webcam will be back soon! Science news!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New job, new DIY

Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    Wow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome mate sounds like an awesome project. Looking forward to seeing this Click here to enlarge pine is cheap and easy to stain u just gotta be fast applying it and rub it off evenly. U can most colours with it.
    aquaholic aussie is back

Post Thanks / Like

Keep us posted.
    Blessed Be!
    55g 3 Dragon's Blood,1 yellow Lab,3 Masoni,3Zebra,pair of Sunshine Peacocks, pleco
    20g 6 Angelfish,1 Bristle nose,4 Krebinis

Post Thanks / Like

Congratz on your new job. Also good luck with your tank. Hope to see the picture updates soon.

Post Thanks / Like

"excessively long build thread..." There is no such thing Click here to enlarge lol
    “Give a man a fish and he will end up with more." 125 Gallon Community- Clown Loaches, Sailfin Plecos, Gold Red Tail Tinfoil Barbs,Rubber Lip Pleco, Rainbow Shark, Bala Sharks,3 Yellow Belly Sliders 20 Gallon- empty 37 gallon- empty

Post Thanks / Like

I already changed plans...the sump will be two 40 breeders. Petco is doing the $1/gallon sale until Saturday!
    240G SPS/LPS reef - tomato clowns& sebae nem, sunburst anthias, Powder B Tang, Royal Gramma, Desjardini Sailfin, Copperband, Spotfin, Moorish Idol Build thread Webcam will be back soon! Science news!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I look forward to seeing this new build!!
    Click to view-->My personal DIY projects

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new job! Sounds like you'll be busy.

Sent from R'lyeh.
    First rule of DIYFK: Post more pictures.
    Keeper of 10 and 40 gallon tanks.
    1 Opal Gourami/ 1 Gold Gourami / 6 Black Skirt Tetras

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new job! Click here to enlarge

I will be anxiously awaiting updates on the new tank!
    Fish are Friends, Not Food!

Current Set-ups:
    15g: Rams - Krib - Red Tail Shark - Tetras
    10g: Everything you can think of!
    10g: Electric Blue Ram - Blue Ram - Tetras
    5g: Betta - African Dwarf Frog

Post Thanks / Like

I hope we get to see a whole heap on this build and the other thing that impressed me is that the boss gave you an aquarium budget!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be watching from this point on. I think I see a high interest coming your way. Congrats on all the good news.
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

@mega, you give out multiple "High interest" badges??

I just ordered the parts for the skimmer. What do you think would be best? Split the components up into different threads or have one monster thread? :P

Post Thanks / Like

one monster Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new job and budget. One monster thread for a monster tank Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge
    85 Gallon BB Aquarium Discus Only

Have A Great Day

Post Thanks / Like

Just spent $300 on plumbing supplies. This thing is going to be a monster. I have a $1000 cart at RapidLED and a $1000 cart at bulkreef...still waiting on the acrylic quote.

Post Thanks / Like

1000 miles, that's a hell of a commute!!! lol.....But seriously....I'm jealous. Sounds like a sweet gig.
    55gal-Empty
    29gal-1 Albino B.nose Pleco, 3 WC Minnows, 3 Cherry Barbs, 2. G Dojo, 1-Cory, 3 H Rasbora

Post Thanks / Like

Quote for the acrylic came back at $1076. That's cheap. I was expecting it to be $1500-2000. Final dimensions will be 95.5x23.5x23.5 (need space for CNC bit to square the factory edges)

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you have space in your new place to keep the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

The wall it's going on is 110". The problem is finding a room big enough in my house to build the 8ft tank, stand and canopy :P

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really getting pumped for this build Click here to enlarge
    145 gallon seamless acrylic: 9 Tropheus Bemba, 8 Tropheus duboisi ,
    Rack; 45 gallon:breeding pair Jewel Cichlids
    Betta tank- 2 female and 1 Male crowntail
    Next Project: 145 gallon Canopy and LED lighting

Post Thanks / Like

So ow long do you have to move from your current house?

Post Thanks / Like

My wife isn't moving until next summer and I'm going to live with friends for a few months until I find a condo to rent. I start the new job in the middle of November, but I'm hoping to set up the tank there in the beginning of November.

Post Thanks / Like

good news for the job, congrats. Hope i'm next Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Fiesta. I was looking for 7 months but landed the perfect job running a high throughput next generation DNA sequencing lab at Duke.

Just submitted my rapidLED order...216 solderless CREE LEDs, 9x heatsinks, 9x fans, 2x HLG-320H-42B meanwell drivers and a sunrise/sunset controller. This is probably the single most expensive component of the build. I'm going to be doing parallel strings of LEDs with resistors and fast blow fuses. I think that build will have a dedicated thread because there aren't a whole lot of threads on parallel LED builds.

Post Thanks / Like

Need a tech guy? lol. I live near Tampa and was just looking at jobs in the Durham/Raleigh area. Such a small world....
    55gal-Empty
    29gal-1 Albino B.nose Pleco, 3 WC Minnows, 3 Cherry Barbs, 2. G Dojo, 1-Cory, 3 H Rasbora

Post Thanks / Like

thanks h2so4hurts. I only got out of university so its a little hard to get a job, i've been looking since beginning of september.

Wow thats alot of CRee i did my cart for my next SW tank and it came out at around 400$, i will only have like 45-50 LEDS so thats an huge investment you made there Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

Cichlid, They have a bunch of IT guys to take care of the cluster. They have a pretty impressive server farm. You need it when you're generating 10TB + of data everyday.

Fiesta, Yeah, don't remind me...BUT I won't have to worry about changing bulbs for at least 7 years, and at $500-600 a year on a tank this big, it pays for itself pretty quickly. I think the final total for this fixture is going to be $2200. I'll post a build list with prices and everything for the whole setup eventually. Although, I'm not sure I really want to know. It's probably going to be around $6000 when all is said and done.

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by h2so4hurts
    Cichlid, They have a bunch of IT guys to take care of the cluster. They have a pretty impressive server farm. You need it when you're generating 10TB + of data everyday.

Fiesta, Yeah, don't remind me...BUT I won't have to worry about changing bulbs for at least 7 years, and at $500-600 a year on a tank this big, it pays for itself pretty quickly. I think the final total for this fixture is going to be $2200. I'll post a build list with prices and everything for the whole setup eventually. Although, I'm not sure I really want to know. It's probably going to be around $6000 when all is said and done.
    i understand but over time it will be less expensive. How long do these LEDs last by the way?

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by h2so4hurts

That is some impressive data!! Mind if I PM you for the company name?
    55gal-Empty

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast