THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Drip System

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Drip System

An alternative method of doing water changes, is to have a drip system.

Auto top offs are not enough..

Automatic water changes can be too complicated and expensive.

Drips are simply too easy not to do.

Drips have really made my fish keeping much easier over the last few years.

Click to view-->My personal DIY projects

Post Thanks / Like

Re: DIY Drip System

very interesting system and def the way to go for easy maintenance, i like the fact that the water is going to be very stable and have hardly and fluctuations at all, great video there joey and thumbs up for making these diy easy to understand Click here to enlarge
    aquaholic aussie is back

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AussieDIYFK
    very interesting system and def the way to go for easy maintenance, i like the fact that the water is going to be very stable and have hardly and fluctuations at all, great video there joey and thumbs up for making these diy easy to understand Click here to enlarge

No prob Aussie

Post Thanks / Like

TRUE STORY:

I filmed most of this video about 3 weeks ago.

I somehow lost my opening to the video, so had to shoot it again today....... the first 12 seconds was filmed today.

Luckily enough, my hair is the same length... oddly enough, i got it cut and it grew to the perfect length again.. almost.

Only thing different..... im wearing shorts in the first 12secs.... then the video switches to jogging pants for the rest. I did put on the same shirt though...

I thought it was funny..... since no one will probably notice, i had to point it out. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you point it out I notice Click here to enlarge

I reckon ill look into this for my 240

Thanks for the vid

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Joey! what about using an RODI unit going to a large holding tank with a small pump to the fish tank and Speedy's tank (running at the same rate) to change the water?

Is RODI water a good idea for fish?
    110L Turtle tank with 1 Red Eared Slider named Speedy. (Soon to be 400L tank!)
    130L Fish tank with 7 Neon Tetras, 4 Clown Loaches and 1 Bristlenose Pleco.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm once again you make me want to move into my own place. ergh I hate renting, I can't change things...
    145 gallon seamless acrylic: 9 Tropheus Bemba, 8 Tropheus duboisi ,
    Rack; 45 gallon:breeding pair Jewel Cichlids
    Betta tank- 2 female and 1 Male crowntail
    Next Project: 145 gallon Canopy and LED lighting

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidNZ
    Nice one Joey! what about using an RODI unit going to a large holding tank with a small pump to the fish tank and Speedy's tank (running at the same rate) to change the water?

Is RODI water a good idea for fish?
    RODI has nothing in it.... its good if your adding something to it, but if your not, its essentially stale water.

Run the water through a carbon filter, thats all you would need.

Post Thanks / Like

Now Joey where did you get your water regulator Im looking to setup this system for my tanks and all the regulators I can find are huuge. Did you get it online??

If I can suss out a regulator ill do this and your overflow on both my tanks Click here to enlarge

Dont mind me I just answered my own quesiton by watching your vid again

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by kellray
    Hmmm once again you make me want to move into my own place. ergh I hate renting, I can't change things...
    wish i was still in the old house i would show u how i to tap into my old bathroom sink haven't did it yet in this house and i rent but none of the owner ever know i did it it cost a little bit more than joeys set up but it works and the wholes in the wall are the size of ur cable wire easy to patch when u move mine was also set up with RO unit on it and stainless steal brake line for tubing
    im here to help & to be help diy member map https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=380302#

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Joey for this video.

I am actually planning to move in to a new house soon and I was trying to get ideas on how to have a drip system installed and the way one works. Your video has not only given me the know how but also some inspired ideas.

One of those ideas is instead of leading the water in to the drain rather plumb the drain to a garden bed.

Post Thanks / Like

if you only have chlorine in your tap wouldn' it gas out with this low of a flow rate? that is what i've heard and it would definently make it more available to people with tap instead of well water.

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by memfish
    if you only have chlorine in your tap wouldn' it gas out with this low of a flow rate? that is what i've heard and it would definently make it more available to people with tap instead of well water.
    The chlorine will still be present in the water when it gets to the tank, and that is not ideal. Yes, it will get removed over time, but the fish will still be exposed to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UaruJoey
    RODI has nothing in it.... its good if your adding something to it, but if your not, its essentially stale water.

Run the water through a carbon filter, thats all you would need.
    OK, sounds like a plan. I am really thinking of putting this onto Speedys tank, will just need a way to get the water out as there are no drains near. *Hmmm* might need to put an additional pump onto my tank controller. Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidNZ
    The chlorine will still be present in the water when it gets to the tank, and that is not ideal. Yes, it will get removed over time, but the fish will still be exposed to it.
    i realize that for a short time it will stille be present, but lets say you have it set up in a 75 gallon tank to do a 50% water change every week. less than 5 gallons in 24 hours most of the chlorine will gas out in a few hours and 5 gallons out of 75 will be extremely diluted

Post Thanks / Like

No, you will always have chlorine in the tank as you are constantly dripping fresh water into the tank with chlorine. You are right, it will gas off, but you will still always have some amount of chlorine in the system. As to how much, I cannot say, but the fish will notice it.

Post Thanks / Like

With a drip, even as slow as it is, you would most likely end up with an accumulative effect rather than the chlorine dissipating. The easiest and quickest way to remove the chlorine naturally is to make it spray through the air ie. mist or tiny droplets.
    DIYFishkeepers.com, bringing the world together one tank at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

i little side note, i wonder if you could increase the pressure on the line and have it mist into the aquarium? this would definently take care of thechlorine problem. kind of lke the misters used at grocery stores in the produce section. this would probably just lead to you humidifying your fish room but it's a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you know how many drips it should be per hour, is there any indicator on the drip end valve?

Post Thanks / Like

you could always time how long it takes to fill up a gallon container, or even just a measuring cup. Then you could calculate what the flow is

Post Thanks / Like

Great video Joey, Will for sure be using this on the 240 tank build! Click here to enlarge
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like

i little side note, i wonder if you could increase the pressure on the line and have it mist into the aquarium? this would definently take care of thechlorine problem. kind of lke the misters used at grocery stores in the produce section. this would probably just lead to you humidifying your fish room but it's a thought.
    I think that would be very difficult in a drip system. I think a new system would need to be developed along the lines of a time delayed pulse pressure switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Sorry for digging up this inactive thread.

I am planning to have a drip system in my tank but I would like to ask a couple of question.

1.) Will drip system affect/alter my tank's ph? 1gph running 24/7 on a 240gal freshwater tank with 5ft sump.

2.) Do I have to dose water conditioner? Or a carbon block installed directly to tap is already sufficient?

Thanks DIYFK!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by edri Click here to enlarge
    Hi guys,

Sorry for digging up this inactive thread.

I am planning to have a drip system in my tank but I would like to ask a couple of question.

1.) Will drip system affect/alter my tank's ph? 1gph running 24/7 on a 240gal freshwater tank with 5ft sump.

2.) Do I have to dose water conditioner? Or a carbon block installed directly to tap is already sufficient?

Thanks DIYFK!
    The drip will not effect ph.. in fact, it will keep it steady with the ph that comes out of your tap.

A carbon filter is fine for treating the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have chloramines like I do in my tap water, don't think carbon is going to be enough. To be honest, I don't know if I would trust carbon to remove the chlorine either, being paranoid of course. I would have to test it out to see if it did.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can add a RO system inline. Just with the last stage of RO use a filter that adds minerals back in to the water.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use municible water every once in awhile they clean out the pipes and i cant use the water for a few days my lfs lady a good friend of mine now she get calls from the city when their adding chemicals and cleaning out the pipes she relays the message to me i plan to do a drip system with probly two carbon blocks do i turn my drip system off durring theise days or do u think the carbon will handle it
    Discus/Apistogramma Aficionado Dirt Tank Savant

Post Thanks / Like
    When I've been in this situation when they are finished cleaning they have recommended to flush the tap until it no longer smells of chemicals.
    I would turn off the drip system and then first flush the tap and then the drip system (into another container not your aquarium) to make sure no chemicals makes it into the aquarium. Flushing the drip system or not would depend on where in the plumbing system you get your water ie. before or after the tap...

Cheers,
    HeadRock

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by qwerk Click here to enlarge
    with the last stage of RO use a filter that adds minerals back in to the water.
    Such as??? Do you have a link or product name? I'd like to know more about the filter that adds minerals back.
    Thanx!

Cheers,
    HeadRock

Post Thanks / Like
    So you guys mean that it is not 100% sure that carbon block will eliminate chlorine? I am currently looking for a chlorine tester but unfortunately it is nowhere to be found.

What if I dose water conditioner once a day? Will this help?

Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast