Thread: Rimmed into rimless

Post Thanks / Like

Rimmed into rimless

Do I need bracing for a tank that is 48L12W16H and the glass is 6mm thick. It has a rim but I want to take the plastic off to make it rimless. Total gallons is 40 and the original tank had one brace down the middle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    i would keep the rim in place! i thank that 6m glass would bow out without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What if I use aluminum corners and add it it to all sides? Something like the picture below but on all sides Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Andhon Click here to enlarge
    What if I use aluminum corners and add it it to all sides? Something like the picture below but on all sides Click here to enlarge

The Aluminum will be stronger than the Plastic trim you are removing so, provided all four sides are braced, you should be fine and.....IMHO.....it will look a helluva lot nicer...Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Still bound to have a lot of bow in the 48" side putting it under a lot of stress...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Still bound to have a lot of bow in the 48" side putting it under a lot of stress...
    I'll test it out lol see how it goes and I'll let yo guys know

Post Thanks / Like
    You most definitely will need to brace a tank this long, as it will indefinitely be able to bow once the pressure from the water is present.

I don't recommend taking the rim off of a tank larger than 20 gallons, and that is without bracing, but it may depend on the dimensions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Fanatic Click here to enlarge
    You most definitely will need to brace a tank this long, as it will indefinitely be able to bow once the pressure from the water is present.

I don't recommend taking the rim off of a tank larger than 20 gallons, and that is without bracing, but it may depend on the dimensions.
    Do you think the aluminum bracing would do the job? I needa attach the peices of aluminum but ive been lazy to do it hahaClick here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think the aluminum bracing would do the job? I needa attach the peices of aluminum but ive been lazy to do it haha
    It's not the corners that are going to be the problem, it's going to be the 48" run of glass that is not supported with a trim on the top/bottom... The top being the biggest concern, as it blows outward while the bottom of that same piece of glass doesn't bow as much because it's siliconed (braced) by the bottom sheet of glass on the tank, creating all kinds of stress on that sheet of glass as it deforms... Even if it holds water intitially you run the risk of failure down the line, especially if it's say bumped...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    It's not the corners that are going to be the problem, it's going to be the 48" run of glass that is not supported with a trim on the top/bottom... The top being the biggest concern, as it blows outward while the bottom of that same piece of glass doesn't bow as much because it's siliconed (braced) by the bottom sheet of glass on the tank, creating all kinds of stress on that sheet of glass as it deforms... Even if it holds water intitially you run the risk of failure down the line, especially if it's say bumped...
    Nah I feel imma put aluminum all around, even the full run of the 48" so the tank will be encased in aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah I feel imma put aluminum all around, even the full run of the 48" so the tank will be encased in aluminum.
    In that case it's not rimless, and might be OK, a center brace would still be advantageous for a piece of mind if I was doing it...

FYI with a little practice Alumi-Weld can be done by the hobbyist without much trouble, so you could build the frame out of aluminum as a single unit with a 'welded' center brace then drop on and silicone just like an plastic trim... Obviously don't weld it in place, the heat will crack the glass...

https://www.alumiweld.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd Center Brace the bugger.......Click here to enlarge