Thread: Probaby a longshot... DIY Remineralization?

Post Thanks / Like

Probaby a longshot... DIY Remineralization?

Anyone ever found or created a DIY remineralization formula for FRESH water?

It's winter again and I turn my attention back to indoor stuff like the fish tanks...

I simply can't get a handle on diatoms in my tanks, this issue has pretty much has stalled my entire aquarium drive for the last year plus... I simply have too much silica in my well water to get them under control and they take over with a vengeance that can't be tamed...

So I'm going to take the plunge and get an RO system, remineralize and use that for my tanks... I'm not against buying an over the counter product like Replenish they are cheap enough I guess, but looking at the ingredients it's basically water with a smidge of a few minerals, hardly anything fancy, and I could probably bash together a powdered mix similar that would last a lifetime without much work for a few bucks, but figured I would see if anyone else has already worked up a formula they have has success with...

Post Thanks / Like
    So after this post last night I looked into this further...

The 4 salts in Replenish are simple enough to source, a little math and the proportions can be worked out as well from the label, basically creating a Replenish clone for significantly less per dose. And since my plan is to have many 100s of gallons of tanks setup, creating a clone will repay me in quick...

The four salts in Replenish are below, these raw salts can easily be purchased on Ebay by the ounce or what not, but you can also source most of them locally easy enough as listed below with common easy to find sources...

Calcium chloride - pickling salt found in the canning isle, Pickle Crisp is one brand
    Magnesium chloride - sold as a dietary supplement in the pharmacy isle, you need to find a brand that is pure, pills and tablets will have binding agents, Vida Magnesio Cloruro de Magnesio is a brand that is pure
    Sodium chloride - common non-iodized table salt in the grocery isle (or aquarium salt, check the label)
    Potassium chloride - common sodium-free salt substitute can be found in the spice isle, Nu-Salt is one brand

Ironically most of the above are also commonly found in 'pet safe' ice melt, but proportions and purity are probably not well regulated in that source... The sources I listed above are all for human consumption so obviously pure...

The proportions in Replenish are simple enough based on the label, these are minimum amounts, note the label has Calcium and Sodium max amounts as well, so one might want to pay particular attention to measuring those, especially in a tank that might have sodium intolerant inhabitants... I'm guessing/assuming this is the bound chloride salt amounts, I doubt they broke it down further to just the active elements for fish supplement labeling... And if they did break it down to the active element level, that just means you will need to dose a little heavier or reduce the water amount a few parts, a water test after dosing will determine that...

Calcium 13%
    Magnesium 1%
    Potassium 0.12%
    Sodium 0.60%
    Water 85.28%

Note the label on Replenish has a wide dosing range depending on how 'soft' you want the water, so even if your proportions are not dead on, you should be fine especially if you test the water and develop your own dosing scale... But a decent digital scale should get you close enough...

I had worked up a X part(s) this scale last night for a basic no brains mixture, but stupid Windows shut down and updated closing my notepad Click here to enlarge too lazy to re-do the math right now...

I would like to note this is UNTESTED I just did the initial groundwork, but I can't see anything I'm really missing based on the info I have... I might research some other remineralization formulas (lots of them for shrimp) and see if other companies are adding other things to get more complete balance and possibly some other trace element ideas, that or I might just include a drop or two of an over the counter aquarium 'vitamin/mineral boost' to add more trace elements to the remineralized water...

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the trace elements from your aquarium fertilizer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by HillbillyHomer Click here to enlarge
    Maybe the trace elements from your aquarium fertilizer?
    Yeah, I was considering that, that as it will probably get added anyway since I will likely have plants in there... I might even just mix back in a small percentage of unfiltered well water as well...