THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell cast VS Extruded Acrylic

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cell cast VS Extruded Acrylic

hello everyone, I am having real trouble in trying to find some cell cast acrylic. i live in the uk and i just cant seem to find a supplier. I can easily find say perspex or normal acrylic sheets but cell cast i cannot. Can any one help me in locating a supplier???

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UaruJoey
    There was also somewhere here on this site where someone found some SUPER cheap cell cast acrylic in the states... i cant remember who or where it was though... perhaps some one who see's this will remember.

might want to check out freckleface.com for 2 sheets of 1/2" acrylic to get shipped to california i'm looking at 6-700 bucks. TAP costs around 1300. however I am not sure if this is cell cast or not i'm still looking into it.

Post Thanks / Like

thank god ive ordered cel cast. Click here to enlarge
    aquaholic aussie is back

Post Thanks / Like
    I just sent an E-Mail to Tap Plastics and they got back to me almost instantly. I basically wanted to know which of their cut-to-size acrylic sheets were considered Cell Cast and they informed me that any of the clear acrylics 3/8 and over were in fact cell cast. I would be very interested if anyone happened to find any sheets of acrylic at a cheaper price?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, when looking at freckleface.com, I noticed in the fine print that they mention not to expect everything to fit together in the application of building an aquarium...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric1980 Click here to enlarge
    Also, when looking at freckleface.com, I noticed in the fine print that they mention not to expect everything to fit together in the application of building an aquarium...
    lol thats funny. I think that if they make it to a specific size it should be the exact size wanted, they should not have to mention if they would lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an interesting question, that could very well reduce my cost as well. The acrylic calculator states that I should only consider the volume of water? Does this mean if I have an inch of live sand and about a pound of live rock per gallon, I can also subtract from the volume of water as well? If so, I could probably order the 3/8 instead of the half inch thichness....does anyone have any input on that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Personaly i would still go with the size the calculator recommends, that will give you a nice safety factor so you can sleep good at night lol.

if you can or cannot go with 3/8 i have no idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by eric1980 Click here to enlarge
    I have an interesting question, that could very well reduce my cost as well. The acrylic calculator states that I should only consider the volume of water? Does this mean if I have an inch of live sand and about a pound of live rock per gallon, I can also subtract from the volume of water as well? If so, I could probably order the 3/8 instead of the half inch thichness....does anyone have any input on that?
    No !! ... you don't really use the volume of water so much as the DEPTH... the deeper the water, the more pressure is exerted on the walls (esp at the bottom).
    The sand on the bottom is saturated with water, so it DOES count in the depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    IslandHopper has that correct, no mater what substrate you use the water is still in it so you have to include the depth of water from the bottom of the tank, the only way it would be different with less pressure is to fill the tank with solid items to half the volume of the tank to take a way water volume and even then I still wouldn't trust the tank, but that is me. I know the calculator is designed to give you a safety factor of I think 2.5, but I still go with what it suggest, but that"s me, I don't want to have a pool on my floor as my wife would kill me.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, new guy here. I read all the posts, but I am conflicted...

So I saw the videos, and got it all worked out. 96" wide, 18" tall and 18" deep (braces across the top 4" wide every 16"). Going to look stellar as my new planted fresh water tank fully taking up a useless wall in my house. I found I had an acrylic supplier just down the road! I drew up my plans and measurements and sent them to him. 1/2" thick Cast Acrylic. They may even have found some one to glue it for a couple of bucks after hours!

Here is the rub... Acrylic is all cut, but they cut it from extruded not the cast. He will re-cut it out of cast (no charge or issue), or I can take a big discount on his mistake! So there in lies the rub. How much less 'strong' is Extruded over Cast? Everybody seems to say it is less strong, but no one has been definite about how much less. Even the supplier can't give me an exact amount. But, he is willing to stand behind the acrylic (that it won't break). He also mentioned that today's extruded is substantially better produced than in the past. So the 'quality' like in many things has improved.

Any one have any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    cell cast has a psi rating of 750 psi where extruded only is I believe 350 psi, if it were me I wouldn't use it, that's a lot of water too end up all over your house if it doesn't hold.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response!

Okay. First Thanks Divine Hammer for the response! I very much appreciate it.

So here is where I am still struggling. Everything I have found shows that the tensile strength of both is in the 11,000 psi! And the Flex Strength is 17,000 psi! I have looked on several distributes and manufactures spec sheets and they all are way up there! Even Weldon says that after a week of curing, their joint strength is 2,500 psi. And from experience we know that is more than enough strength to hold back the water. So even if I am misreading the scale, 11,000 is a lot more strength than 2,500.

Every manufacture seems to say the same thing, and it is killing me! - Oh, today's Extruded is almost as strong as Cast, is almost as transparent as Cast, is almost as perfectly uniform as Cast. Oh, but Cast is better. End line, end transmission, end statement and no info. Its just better.

So I do really appreciate any advice you want to throw my way. I hope you can see my confusion (and just a little frustration). I just would like some 'numbers' around it to help me out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know thanks Joey!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read that cast acrylic warps less than extruded. I bought a piece of 2mm acrylic to use as a lid/condensation cover for a tank and within a couple of days it began to bow. Whether this is to do with the light (LED and virtually zero heat) or the condensation is a question...

All sources for cast acrylic in the UK seem around 3-4 times the price of extruded Click here to enlarge

Also I didn't realise how fiddly it is cut a section out of acrylic. It may have far better impact strength than glass, but it's strength along its own length when you start to make a cut into it is zero and it splits easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about continuous cast acrylic?

Is it okay to use for larger aquariums?

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some "extra info"

Cellcast when drilled you see the hole that is drilled,
    Extruded will pop and the round hole will end up jagged as ever or tear into the sheet (because of the quicker curing the layers break/pop off the inner layers - Ice-cube effect)

This is also the reason that cellcast is the only acrylic allowed in auto-racing (Less injury/flying particles on impact)
    Last edited by Russell; 12-31-2014 at 04:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great read

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a separate thread on this that asks some other questions, but one of the questions there I should ask here since this is stickied: what about using extruded triangular or square rods to reinforce corner seams on a tank that is made with cell cast acrylic? I don't even see cell cast rods for sale, but I can find extruded no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's only going to be used to re-enforce and existing glued corner, extruded will suffice... As you said almost all profiles and shapes are extruded, chances are if you want cell cast corners it would be a one off custom job that you would have to cut or machine from your own cast sheet stock, or contract someone else to do it, IMO that would only be needed in the most critical applications...
    Last edited by Meep; 04-24-2015 at 03:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by UaruJoey Click here to enlarge
    There was also somewhere here on this site where someone found some SUPER cheap cell cast acrylic in the states... i cant remember who or where it was though... perhaps some one who see's this will remember.
    Do you know anywhere good to get acrylic in B.C.? i have tried redwood plastics but they quoted me $1800 per sheet for 144" x 44", and 144" x 46", thats wayy to expensive for me haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12