THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: First Tank Build - Plywood

Post Thanks / Like

First Tank Build - Plywood

Hey Everyone,

I've recently Started planning a plywood tank as my first tank build.
    I'm looking for a bit of advice and have a question or two.
    First question Tempered VS non tempered. I've looked online and it seems to be something no one agrees upon. with my tank (see the image attached below for details) I'm wondering if I'd need tempered, SHOULD I use tempered, or is non tempered enough

the other question is more of "any suggestions/changes" based on the information in the attached image below.
    Tank 1-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use regular glass as long as you use the appropriate thickness... Tempered at the hobbyist level almost always cost more, you are unable to drill it (not much of concern here), and in generally requires more bracing, something to consider... The only real advantage to tempered in tank building is the weight savings...

You only need 1/4" glass in your above design, I would not even consider tempered unless it was given to me for free or cheaper than regular float, and I would still go with 1/4" even if tempered in this application...

You also don't really need any additional bracing in your design, beyond the plywood frame and top...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input Meep. The bracing around is partly for look. I also want to make sure I have zero flex at the seams, so I figured I'd make sure I have good bracing. I've read for pond Armor and some other waterproofing that the weakness is flexing at the seams causing the water proof coating to break or crack.

As for glass thickness, I've used some calculators both put me at around 8mm ( safety factor of 4 ) for one and and 1/4 inch for another, but I wasn't sure if that was calculated for tempered or not.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Iruga Click here to enlarge
    As for glass thickness, I've used some calculators both put me at around 8mm ( safety factor of 4 ) for one and and 1/4 inch for another, but I wasn't sure if that was calculated for tempered or not.
    The calculator in my signature is for regular float glass, unbraced... Be sure to note even though your tank is 16"+ inches tall, the glass only needs to be calculated for about 14" tall... The measurement is taken from top of water to bottom of unsupported glass, or the bottom of your window in this case, also note you are not going to fill the tank to the tippy-tippy top so that again slightly decreases the height further... And being fully framed out in plywood, as it is your design, your safety factor increases a bit already and you can fudge a little bit on the thickness in many cases...

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome, That helps. Thanks a bunch. I'm hoping to start building this month Click here to enlarge