THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Glass thickness for half plywood/half glass tank

Post Thanks / Like

Glass thickness for half plywood/half glass tank

Good evening Everyone,

I have a plan to build and aquarium that will be L-shaped. It is 5' long on one side and 7' long on the other. It will be 2' wide and 30" tall. The backs and on 1 side will be would be mounted to the wall and using plywood along with the bottom. On 2' side and the 2 fronts will be glass. I am sure that I know how I will be constructing it just not sure what size glass I should use. If I can figure out how to use Sketchup I will post some pictures of the plan. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks. It will be 374 gallons all together.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at the calculator in my signature, the height is the primary factor in glass thickness... Note that in most cases with a glass/plywood hybrid tank where the glass is supported on all 4 sides by plywood (braced) you can generally fudge the numbers (as the calculator is set up for unbraced glass) and drop down to the closest thickness of glass the calculator spits out instead of rounding up... So in your case it spits out a side glass thickness of 17.5mm, meaning you can probably get by with 5/8" just fine as it only changes the safety factor a little bit, aka at 5/8" it's still a 3.1x safety factor, but if you don't want to take the risk go with 3/4" glass...

Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning on having a wood brace across the top and a wood brace across the bottom but not to big. Kind of like Joey's large square one he did for his stringrays on the bottom. It is going to have a hood being as it is in my living room and going to be seen all the time and I don't want to see the lighting.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also was not going to have supports on the sides of the main panels. except to the top and bottom.