THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: drip system housing

Post Thanks / Like

drip system housing

I have a whole house chloramine fitler. I think some chloramines are breaking through so I want to add in one 20 inch filter housing with a 20 inch chloramine block. It lookes like all the housing I am looking at are either 3/4 inch female threaded or 1 inch. where to I find an adapter that I can use to go from the 3/4 inch or 1 inch cap to hook up to my 1/4 inch drip system. I would ideally like a quick fitting

Post Thanks / Like
    Most fitting don't step down that far, what you will probably have to do is use multiple fittings, what fittings you use will like be determined by what you can find locally...

One example would be to use a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer 'bushing' like this to reduce the input/output of the housing to 1/2 FPT...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-3-4-...-101/100343718

Then use a 1/2" MPT to 1/4" push fitting like this...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Con...3007/100161011

Make sure to goop up the treads with pipe thread compound, PVC to PVC threads bind real bad sometimes and don't always thread well or seal well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Most fitting don't step down that far, what you will probably have to do is use multiple fittings, what fittings you use will like be determined by what you can find locally...

One example would be to use a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer 'bushing' like this to reduce the input/output of the housing to 1/2 FPT...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DURA-3-4-...-101/100343718

Then use a 1/2" MPT to 1/4" push fitting like this...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Con...3007/100161011

Make sure to goop up the treads with pipe thread compound, PVC to PVC threads bind real bad sometimes and don't always thread well or seal well...
    thank you Meep after a lot of googling last night thats what I figured would happen. Do you think I would be better off with a brass bushing over pvc? ALso can I use teflon tape or should I get goop and if so which is best

Also know of any cheap places to buy 20 filter housings?
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Brass cost more and doesn't really offer much benefit in this application as your push to fit fitting as well as the housing is likely going to be plastic anyway, the PVC busing installed correctly will be fine...

I generally don't use tape on 'permanent' applications, I'll use it on say shower heads and what not but I prefer to use goop on pretty much everything else...

As for 'best' that is a matter of opinion my long time favorite goop is HarveySeal Formula 55, it's yellow and marketed for 'gas' lines but it's safe for water lines as well, but it's a little more costly and not sold it small tubes like many other goops... Another one I have used that I like as well is Megaloc Multi-purpose its blue and you can get it in small 1oz tubes, so it's a convenient size for the DIY that doesn't need a lot... In both cases make sure to mix it well before use, squish the tube back and forth or stir in a container as they do separate a bit...

DIYFK member OttawaFolkFestivum's Avatar

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask for the part number of the whole house chloramine filter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Brass cost more and doesn't really offer much benefit in this application as your push to fit fitting as well as the housing is likely going to be plastic anyway, the PVC busing installed correctly will be fine...

I generally don't use tape on 'permanent' applications, I'll use it on say shower heads and what not but I prefer to use goop on pretty much everything else...

As for 'best' that is a matter of opinion my long time favorite goop is HarveySeal Formula 55, it's yellow and marketed for 'gas' lines but it's safe for water lines as well, but it's a little more costly and not sold it small tubes like many other goops... Another one I have used that I like as well is Megaloc Multi-purpose its blue and you can get it in small 1oz tubes, so it's a convenient size for the DIY that doesn't need a lot... In both cases make sure to mix it well before use, squish the tube back and forth or stir in a container as they do separate a bit...
    great thanks

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by OttawaFolkFestivum Click here to enlarge
    Can I ask for the part number of the whole house chloramine filter?
    http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/green-carbon-15.htm/

They are currently working with me to try and sort this out

there just aren't a lot of catalytic carbon house filter options

Post Thanks / Like
    here is the carbon info

[COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 100.000000%, 100.000000%)]TECHNICAL DATASHEET [/COLOR][COLOR=rgb(100.000000%, 100.000000%, 100.000000%)]WWW.JACOBI.NET [/COLOR]

Features and Benfits
    Catalytic activity
    Large and extensive internal pore structure Optimized density
    Maximum hardness
    Low dust and turbidity
    Excellent adsorption capacity
    High volume activity
    Rapid dechlorination
    Low filtered water turbidity
    Typical Applications

• Residential water treatment systems - Point of Entry (POE) / Point of Use (POU)
    • Beverage production
    • Protection of ion exchange resins from chloramines
      Available Particle Sizes
      12x40 mesh (0.425 - 1.70 mm)
      other granulations available upon request
      Certifications and Approvals
      AWWA B604-96 EN12915
      NSF Std. 61
      Standard Packaging
      25 kg bag (55 lb)
      500 kg bulk bag (1100 lb)
      The polyethylene valve bag from Jacobi sets the standard in the industry for clean, durable and safe handing.

AquaSorb CX-MCA
    [COLOR=rgb(20.000000%, 20.000000%, 20.000000%)]catalytic granular coconut shell based activated carbon [/COLOR]
    AquaSorb CX-MCA is a catalytic, high activity granular activated carbon manufactured by steam activation of select coconut shell charcoal. The catalytic activity of this activated carbon makes it highly effective for the removal of chloramines and hydrogen sulfide from potable water. Its large micropore volume makes it particularly well suited for the removal of low molecular weight organic compounds and their chlorinated by-products such as chloroform and other trihalomethanes (THMs). An important feature of this material is its superior mechanical hardness and the extensive dedusting during its manufacture ensures an exceptionally clean activated carbon product.
    AquaSorb CX-MCA is an activated carbon with a catalytic activity that is required for liquid phase application involving oxidation, reduction, and decomposition.

Specification
    Iodine number
    Moisture content (as packed) Total ash content
    Ball-pan hardness
    CTC activity
    Catalytic activity

Typical Properties
    Surface area (BET)
    Apparent density
    Bed density, backwashed and drained pH

min. 1000 mg/g max. 5% max. 4% min. 98% min. 50% min. 20C
    1060 m2/g 490 kg/m3 420 kg/m3

Jacobi Carbons reserves the right to modify specifications without prior notice. To obtain a full sales specification with test methods, please contact your nearest Jacobi Carbons office.

[COLOR=rgb(20.000000%, 20.000000%, 20.000000%)]CORPORATE OFFICE [/COLOR]
    Sweden
    Jacobi Carbons AB Bredbandet 1, Varvsholmen SE-392 30 Kalmar
    Tel: +46 480 417550 Fax: +46 480 417559 info@jacobi.net www.jacobi.net
    [COLOR=rgb(20.000000%, 20.000000%, 20.000000%)]SALES OFFICES [/COLOR]
    Germany
    Jacobi Carbons GmbH Feldbergstrasse 21 D-60323 Frankfurt/Main
    Tel +49 69 719107-0 Fax +49 69 719107-20 infode@jacobi.net
    United States
    Jacobi Carbons, Inc.
    1518 Walnut Street, 18th Floor Philadelphia, PA 19102

Tel: (215) 546-3900 Fax: (215) 546-9921 infous@jacobi.net
    United Kingdom
    Jacobi Carbons Ltd. Croft Court, Moss Estate Leigh, Lancs, WN7 3PT
    Tel: +44 1942 670 600 Fax +44 1942 670 605 infouk@jacobi.net
    Malaysia
    Jacobi Carbons (Asia) Sdn Bhd 1-04-18, Krystal Point Corporate Park Jalan Tun Dr. Awang
    11900 Bayan Lepas, Penang

Tel: +60 4 643 9828 Fax: +60 4 644 3928 infoasia@jacobi.net
    Polyethylene valve bags of 25 kg (55 lb) net weight on 500 kg (1100 lb) pallets
    [COLOR=rgb(20.000000%, 20.000000%, 20.000000%)]CAUTION [/COLOR]Activated carbon is a strong oxidizing agent and can remove oxygen from air under wet or humid conditions. Care should be taken when entering confined spaces where wet activated carbon is present. Ensure the use of correct breathing apparatus. Material Safety Data Sheets should be consulted for further details on procedures in the event of contact with activated carbon.
    [COLOR=rgb(20.000000%, 20.000000%, 20.000000%)]NOTICE [/COLOR]Due to the progressive nature of Jacobi Carbons Group and the continually improving design and performance of our products, we reserve the right to change product specifications without prior notification. The information contained in this datasheet is intended to assist a customer in the evaluation and selection of products supplied by Jacobi Carbons. The customer is responsible for determining whether products and the information contained in this document are appropriate for customer's use. Jacobi Carbons assumes no obligation or liability for the usage of the information in this datasheet, no guarantees or warranties, expressed or implied, are provided. Jacobi Carbons disclaims responsibility and the user must accept full responsibility for performance of systems based on this data.
    WORLDWIDE DISTRIBUTORS A diverse network of agents, strategically located around the world. Please contact any Jacobi Carbons office to locate your nearest distributor. AquaSorb, EcoSorb, GoldSorb, ColorSorb, DioxSorb, AddSorb and Jacobi are registered trademarks of Jacobi Carbons. Jacobi Carbons, 2007.

[COLOR=rgb(20.000000%, 20.000000%, 20.000000%)]SALES OFFICES (cont.) [/COLOR]
    Finland
    Jacobi Carbons AB (SS) Ruoholahdenkatu 8 SF-00180 Helsinki
    Tel: +358 9 643602 Fax: +358 9 642900 infofin@jacobi.net
    Switzerland
    Jacobi Carbons AG Rheinweg 5
    CH-8200 Schaffhausen

Tel: +41 52 647 30 00 Fax: +41 52 647 30 09 infoch@jacobi.net

Certified to ANSI/NSF Std. 61

Polypropylene liner-free FIBCs (super sacks) of 500 kg (1100 lb) net weight

DSE-ASCXMCA-A:0707

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordred the Megaloc Multi-purpose goop. When I use this will it form a permanent seal or is can I take it apart?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mcaquatic Click here to enlarge
    I just ordred the Megaloc Multi-purpose goop. When I use this will it form a permanent seal or is can I take it apart?
    It can still be taken apart at any time, it never hardens, just stiffens up a bit and stays gummy...

Post Thanks / Like
    As Meep says, good stuff and never hardens!

Just a quick FYI about it...

DO NOT get it on clothes or anything that will ever be in contact with furniture or other articles of clothing. Use a paper towel to clean up and then immediately throw it in the trash! The stuff is terrible to clean out!

Yes, this is from experience Click here to enlarge...

Post Thanks / Like
    great thank you. worked great with my pvc not under pressure. did not do so hot under pressure lol