THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK

Thread: Squeaky Pump

Post Thanks / Like

Squeaky Pump

Could use some help/suggestions. Have a Jecod DTC 4000 running an XL canister filter. Been running well for about 4 months or so and now is starting to squeak. Any clue on why and most importantly how I can quite it down?

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the sound coming from the pump end or the motor?

P.S. If it is the pump end pull it apart and look to see if the rotor is rubbing on the pump housing. Or you may have something like a snail in their.

Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like it's coming from the impeller. It's a mag drive pump, so the only moving part is the impeller. The nice thing is that the controller has a 5 minute off timer, so I'll hit the button to turn the pump off and then on restart it will be quiet for a while.

Bad timing because I had knee surgery yesterday, so moving around to deal with it is a little tough. I'll have to take it apart when I'm more able to move around.

Just wasn't sure if there is a way to use silicon grease on the impeller or something like that. I guess I won't know until I dig into it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the knee i know they can be a B
    i have a Forrest Gump brace foot to hip Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LabRat Click here to enlarge
    It sounds like it's coming from the impeller. It's a mag drive pump, so the only moving part is the impeller. The nice thing is that the controller has a 5 minute off timer, so I'll hit the button to turn the pump off and then on restart it will be quiet for a while.

Bad timing because I had knee surgery yesterday, so moving around to deal with it is a little tough. I'll have to take it apart when I'm more able to move around.

Just wasn't sure if there is a way to use silicon grease on the impeller or something like that. I guess I won't know until I dig into it.
    Take the pump apart and remove the impeller, scrub the impeller and the 'tube' area of the pump that the impeller shaft fits into until both are spotless, might need to soak for a bit in a mild acid like vinegar to get spotless... You can then take some silicone grease and lightly coat the 'magnet' part of the impeller shaft and put a small blob of silicone grease on the tip of the impeller that slides into the pump, next take a Q-tip and lightly coat the 'tube' on the pump that the impeller slides into... Re-assemble... The light coating on the 'magnet' and inside the 'tube' won't have any real lubrication effect but they will help prevent any build up on those surfaces, the glob on the end of the impeller will have some lubrication effect once the impeller is seated...

I have found with these mag drive type units that the spotless cleaning of the impeller area is usually all it takes to quite them down, the silicone grease is the cherry on top and keeps it silent for longer...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Meep Click here to enlarge
    Take the pump apart and remove the impeller, scrub the impeller and the 'tube' area of the pump that the impeller shaft fits into until both are spotless, might need to soak for a bit in a mild acid like vinegar to get spotless... You can then take some silicone grease and lightly coat the 'magnet' part of the impeller shaft and put a small blob of silicone grease on the tip of the impeller that slides into the pump, next take a Q-tip and lightly coat the 'tube' on the pump that the impeller slides into... Re-assemble... The light coating on the 'magnet' and inside the 'tube' won't have any real lubrication effect but they will help prevent any build up on those surfaces, the glob on the end of the impeller will have some lubrication effect once the impeller is seated...

I have found with these mag drive type units that the spotless cleaning of the impeller area is usually all it takes to quite them down, the silicone grease is the cherry on top and keeps it silent for longer...
    THANK YOU! Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Meep,

OK, finally had a chance to pull the pump apart then clean and grease it. So far so good. Will see how long it lasts.

Thanks again!!!

Momma is happy that the pump is quite and the fish are happy that the filter can continue to run through the night because prior to this, I had to shut it off so people could sleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear...

Post Thanks / Like
    Well my euphoria was short lived, the noise came back with a vengeance and it was no longer just a squeal. Took everything apart and cleaned again. HOWEVER, I'm confident that what caused the problem is not the pump and don't want to give the pump a bad name.

What I think the problem that caused this was my choice of biological media. I'm using lava rock and no matter how much I clean it, there's always dust coming off the rock. I'm thinking some of that grit found it's way into the pump.

So I cleaned everything and throughly cleaned the rock AGAIN and reloaded my canister. Right now the pump is running quietly and hope it lasts, but I think I'm going to change out my lava rock for some other biological media after the tank stabilizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, sounds like grit from the rock is probably getting in the system and causing the problem...