THE ULTIMATE DIY HANDBOOK
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY aquarium stand

Post Thanks / Like
    hi i was wonder would it be ok to use 2x2 instead as my tank is only 60cm*30cm*40cm i think its about 80 liter tank
    i would like to have the heghit of me stand at total of 80cm so was wondering if 2x2 wud be ok as i have loads of it in me shed
    thanks
    lee Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    the stand can be made to be 72" long with no center braces, if you double up your top beams or go with 2x6" instead it will work just fine, and a 75 gallon tank is only 48" long, I see why you want the extra 2 feet for storage of equipment.
    My 75 is a long tank.. It has the same footprint as a 125 gal,it's just 13''tall

Post Thanks / Like
    Will this form of stand work with a glass aquarium without the lifters on the edges? if you use the plywood top and middle supports?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tranksBEAr Click here to enlarge
    Will this form of stand work with a glass aquarium without the lifters on the edges? if you use the plywood top and middle supports?
    yes it will as long as you put foam under the tank to protect the bottom of your tank, if your tank is flat bottom, meaning side panes are on top of the bottom pane then you need a install Styrofoam sheet the same size as the tank to take any imperfections out of the stand and to remove any stress points, if your tank is raised bottom, meaning side panes surround the bottom and the bottom pane is higher than the sides then you still need to put foam under the tank to protect the edges of the side panes, hence why manufactures put the trim on the bottom of the tank to protect the bottom, and sides as well as act as a brace.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Divinehammer Click here to enlarge
    yes it will as long as you put foam under the tank to protect the bottom of your tank, if your tank is flat bottom, meaning side panes are on top of the bottom pane then you need a install Styrofoam sheet the same size as the tank to take any imperfections out of the stand and to remove any stress points, if your tank is raised bottom, meaning side panes surround the bottom and the bottom pane is higher than the sides then you still need to put foam under the tank to protect the edges of the side panes, hence why manufactures put the trim on the bottom of the tank to protect the bottom, and sides as well as act as a brace.

ty so much Click here to enlarge

Post Thanks / Like
    I've watched this video countless times as I plan on some mass stand building. Obviously I love it.

Question: You talk about how there are 8 2x4s holding up the aquarium. I count 12. Why are the original 4 not counted? The plywood rests on them. They reach straight to the floor. Is it 8 for a plywoodless stand and 12 for a plywood one? Or I am I missing some arcane knowledge of structural engineering?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Botiadancer Click here to enlarge
    I've watched this video countless times as I plan on some mass stand building. Obviously I love it.

Question: You talk about how there are 8 2x4s holding up the aquarium. I count 12. Why are the original 4 not counted? The plywood rests on them. They reach straight to the floor. Is it 8 for a plywoodless stand and 12 for a plywood one? Or I am I missing some arcane knowledge of structural engineering?
    not sure if I understand your question, but will give it a shot, there are 4 legs that support the weight of the tank, each leg consist of 2 pieces of 2x4, hence 8 2x4, the rest of the stand is bracing and is supported by the legs. the top part of the stand spreeds the load to the legs which is transferred to floor, but the bottom frame of the stand both keeps the legs from splaying, but also help spreed the load from the legs to a wider foot print on your floor.
    Canadian Pleco lover! Soon to be built DIY 2000 Gallon RTC tank, Go Big Or Go Home!

Post Thanks / Like
    Joey why do you completely skip the part of screwing together the bottom and top frames. I'm confused as to how you kept them level but still screw them in while they were on the floor. Did you glue them first the lift them to screw them together?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am counting 3 2x4s on each leg.
    2 between the top and bottom subassemblies and one 7 inches longer that the other two are attached to.
    The plywood rests upon the entire subassembly and the original 4 longer 2x4s. Hence 4 legs times 3 2x4s equals 12. Without the plywood, a glass tank would only rest upon the subassembly, so it is indeed 8 2x4s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Joey,
    just wanted to mention that in the video you tell us to use number 8 screws for the stand.
    But in the book and here on the forum you say to use #6
    I made mine with number #8, I'm sure it will still work out, just wanted to let you know
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I fear I'm posting now just to reach the mark to be able to post links, however I'm still learning so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joey,
    Great video. i plan on doing my first stand. I still have a few questions after watching your video

My tank is a 35g cube. Which is 20" x 20" x 20" i plan on building a slightly larger stand then the tank dimensions. Here are the stand dimensions
    32"x24"x36" i am going to have a solid top for the stand. Do i need to put the support 2 X 4s on the top of the stand as you stated to support the weight of the tank?

do i put the 2 x 4 supports in 6" from the end of the stand? that will put the distance between the 2 x 4s at 20"

Post Thanks / Like
    Great read

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this as a blueprint. Please put in your .02 if I need more support!!!
    I used 2x6's.
    FW 220g tank.
    Stand is 6x2x4
    Tank is 6x2x3

Do I need to add 45 degree supports in each sunken panel?
    And do you have plumbing blueprints for a Wet/dry, sump, refugium and plumbing?

THANKS JOE!!!!!!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

@UaruJoey
    @UaruJoey
    Last edited by BorrelliBrute; 04-18-2015 at 12:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built this stand for my 75 gallon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lateral bracing never hurts but you should be plenty fine as is, unless you plan to bulldoze the stand regularly...

If you are concerned you can put some small corner braces as a back skin made out of 1/4" plywood, or even a single cable turn buckle across the back, but neither are necessary...

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to use this design to build a stand for my 75g.

Post Thanks / Like
    made a stand for my 75.Went with #8 2 1/2 instead of #6. It also took me over a hour to pick out the 2x4's lol, and i could tell the staff at home depot were getting annoyed with me moving them all around. But If its a glass aquarium i don't NEED plywood top and Styrofoam right? or is it still a good idea to have on there? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    It it's a commercial fish tank with the plastic trim and you build it well and even, you don't need the plywood or foam... If you slack off on alignment and building it's best to put a sheet of plywood on top to even the surface out...

Post Thanks / Like
    its level, but for piece of mind should i go with 3/4 plywood for 1/4?

Post Thanks / Like
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Soflo_Chuck Click here to enlarge
    its level, but for piece of mind should i go with 3/4 plywood for 1/4?
    I personally would use 5/8" or 3/4" BC, cost a little more but it's a lot more substantial...

Post Thanks / Like
    i used 1/2 inch with a 1/2 inch topper of styrofoam. it could literally hold a truck!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Reason I suggest 5/8" or 3/4" BC isn't really for strength, it's simply because in my experience I have found at a big box store the quality is better on the thicker sheets aka they lay flatter... Seems like every time I get 3/8" or 1/2" plywood at a big box store it's like a roller coaster of twist and bends...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering what type of timber should i use to build my stand for a 35 gallon tank.

Thanks~

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the inspiration Joey!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234