PDA

View Full Version : "To be or not to be?"

fiesta90150
11-10-2012, 07:20 PM
"To be or not to be raised"??

Do live rocks have to be raised and on a platform, usually made of eggcrate, so that water can circulate underneath them?

What are the pros and cons with raising it off the sand bed and not raising it of the sand bed?

will the rock raised of the sand keep the bottom of the rock from "dying off"?

From what i understand people create a platform, place their rock on it and underneath they have PVC pipes hooked up to a pump which will blow the debris out from underneath. They also use barriers around the platform so that the sand does not go underneath.

Here is a pic of what i am talking about:

underneath i am wondering if it should be a pump sucking up water from underneath or a pump blowing water underneath to that the debris will flow back out into the tank and go to the sump. I would think its preferable to have water flow underneath.

I'm thinking of this: the water flows in at high speed through the holes and then all the debris goes up the back slope and out of the platform. probably put egg crate alon the hole on the back to prevent fish or invertabrates from getting in, and maybe another hole on the front. The pvc pipe would be in the sand bed.

Anyone ever tried this or done similar?

Snaf
11-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Don't quote me but I think the egg crate is so rocks don't mess up the glass and to disperse the weight evenly across the tank. Also If a rock falls off the stack its less likely to break the glass.

But I'm not an expert in any way just my opinion.

DavidNZ
11-11-2012, 12:05 AM
No, they don't need to be raised. People do it so as if the rocks fall they don't damage the glass at the bottom.

kracken
11-11-2012, 01:41 AM
And here I thought this thread would be about Shakespeare lol

92smokeaccord
11-11-2012, 03:34 AM
in my opinion.the rasied idea is use less.if a rock falls its eaither gonna hit the sand bed and do nothing to agy glass or fall and hit thr front/back glass and make a mark.also for the rest, if you have a good flow threw the tank the nothing is gonna hit the sand it honna go in the over flow. if it does then your cuc is gonna get it befor you notice its there.it just looks bad to.you should never have to gravel clean a salt tank its what crabs and shrimp are for.

fiesta90150
11-11-2012, 06:25 AM
@snaf: yes i have seen that aswell, some people use cutting boards too lol.

@DavidNz: same answer as snaf =)

@Kracken: well ROFL

@92smokeaccord: thanks on the info =)

AussieDIYFK
11-11-2012, 09:33 AM
well im glad u found your answer, also when placing the base or live rock make sure the narrowest spikey parts rest on the eggcrate that way you get less deadspots and easy for the flow to clean underneath your rockwork :-)

fiesta90150
11-11-2012, 12:21 PM
thanks, i was thinking about that. I need to find an alternative too eggcrate cause its 30 for 60*30 cm ... Is that alot?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9380 using Tapatalk