PDA

View Full Version : Any recomendation on reading materials for beginners

GrantWC
10-16-2012, 12:03 AM
Is there a good book or website that anyone can recommend on starting a salt water tank. No plans on getting one yet. Just beginning with a fresh water tank now, But I would like to read up on the subject to get a good foundation and be able to start right.

Thanks.

UaruJoey
10-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Reef central is a good site. Probably the best for salt, and certainly the biggest.

Books are far too vague and out dated. Stick to forums and online articles. Or subscribe to a saltwater mag.

AussieDIYFK
10-16-2012, 01:22 AM
i agree with some books joey but the hans beanch marine atlas is very good aswell as julian sprungs reef books 1&2
ive been reading these books for the last 6 months getting some mental preparation on starting my first reef tank.
some of these books are old but have all the fundamentals about reefkeeping and will never be forgotten

Brady92
10-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Idk about books but I would recommend here and reef sanctuary for websites I found reef central pretty rude compared to reef sanctuary there's a lot of great info on both but nicer people on RS IMO and just because their targeted towards reefs most the info translates to fresh water pretty well

Btw not bashing on RC by saying what I did just saying I prefer RS's community

I Love Living In Japan

Pics or it didn't happen :D

AussieDIYFK
10-16-2012, 07:11 AM
i honestly gained all of my most valuable info from books not internet. i find some sites full of b.s and lfs are even more of it.
in the first two years of fishkeeping i found it really hard to get into it becouse i was fed so much and buy this buy that. after 5 years and still learning i found that personal experiance and looking at mates tanks has certainly improved me as a fishkeeper over sites

AussieDIYFK
10-16-2012, 07:19 AM
saying that diyfk is the most friendly and most awarding community forums in the world and thats saying it from the heart :-)
ive been on many forums and there very big and move to quickly not to mention the lack of help that the members provide. this forum is the best and will improve to be the best in the world thanx to the team that provides the warm welcomes and support that others fail to provide. again thx to joey and all mods plus the fanstastic members here at diyfk, you all deserve a big round of applause :wave: :wave: :wave:

h2so4hurts
10-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I disagree, joey. Forums are a mixed bag because of varying levels of experience and actual knowledge. Forums spread a lot of myth-information. If you have direct questions, the forums are of course easier, but the quality of the answers depends on who is answering the questions.

Books I'd recommend:

The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide
http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Marine-Aq ... 890087521/ (http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Marine-Aquarium-Step-By-Step/dp/1890087521/)

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists
http://www.amazon.com/The-Conscientious ... 890087998/ (http://www.amazon.com/The-Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Professional/dp/1890087998/)

More advanced users:

Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History
http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Corals-S ... 890087475/ (http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087475/)

Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment
http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Disease-Diag ... 813806976/ (http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Disease-Diagnosis-Edward-Noga/dp/0813806976/)

The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Volumes 1 and 2)
http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Com ... 883693128/ (http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Comprehensive-Identification-Invertebrates/dp/1883693128/)
http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Vol ... 883693136/ (http://www.amazon.com/Reef-Aquarium-Vol-Comprehensive-Identification/dp/1883693136/)

UaruJoey
10-16-2012, 10:19 AM
I suppose my opinion is a bit biased to what i have experienced

I never had the internet when i started up... just books.

While the books gave me a good start, my progress was slow compared to when i came online.

Trikzta
10-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Agree fully with Joey even tho books have the basics down packed forums will get you there and further . By the end of the first book you could be prepping if you search thoroughly online

h2so4hurts
10-16-2012, 10:51 AM
By the end of the first book you could be prepping if you search thoroughly online

I would start with a few books before going to a forum. You need some knowledge under your belt before you can start to determine who on a forum is providing good information and who is providing anecdotal nonsense.

kracken
10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Forums spread a lot of myth-information.

LOL@ myth-information, the truth is, no book or forum can give you what you need all the time. Books are useless for the most part, they only provide a one dimensional dialog. With an online forum, you are communicating with other people in open discussion. It's true that not everyone you are conversing with will have accurate knowledge, same goes for the real world. This comes down to being part of the right forum and meeting the right people. With a book, you don't get to do dialog with the author so you have no clue what he really meant, you can only assume things. Book format is becoming obsolete, the internet is one giant interactive book.

h2so4hurts
10-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Books are useless for the most part, they only provide a one dimensional dialog.

I prefer this. Especially if it's fact based with referenced scientific sources. Dialogue is useless if you're speaking with people who don't know what they're talking about. Anyone who asks for advice at a local fish store knows this. Books provide an accurate concise space for information. One of my least favorite tasks is going to a forum thread and trudging for an hour through 200 posts to gauge the correctness of an answer. The books I listed are sourced. You can read a sentence, and then find the reference that the statement is based on. Books are better because most are fact checked, the internet is not.

kracken
10-16-2012, 04:58 PM
Books are useless for the most part, they only provide a one dimensional dialog.

I prefer this. Especially if it's fact based with referenced scientific sources. Dialogue is useless if you're speaking with people who don't know what they're talking about. Anyone who asks for advice at a local fish store knows this. Books provide an accurate concise space for information. One of my least favorite tasks is going to a forum thread and trudging for an hour through 200 posts to gauge the correctness of an answer. The books I listed are sourced. You can read a sentence, and then find the reference that the statement is based on. Books are better because most are fact checked, the internet is not.

Yes you are correct, though the book you are reading with all the fancy sourced things was written by a person and as we all know people are fallible and often say and write things with bias. We are finding this out more now with the nonfactual scientific writings popping up. Both technical and scientific writing are fallible, anything with a human attached to it is. It comes down to the quality of the person/data. 200 books vs 200 human beings, I'll choose the human beings hands down, even if only half of them are accurate over some book. I have yet to read a book that wasn't smudged with sprinkles of bias.

h2so4hurts
10-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Now you're just trolling. Beginners should try to get as much of a fact based start as possible and you are not going to find well supported and reasoned fact based threads from credentialed experts very many places on the internet.

fiesta90150
10-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Idk about books but I would recommend here and reef sanctuary for websites I found reef central pretty rude compared to reef sanctuary there's a lot of great info on both but nicer people on RS IMO and just because their targeted towards reefs most the info translates to fresh water pretty well

Btw not bashing on RC by saying what I did just saying I prefer RS's community

I Love Living In Japan

Pics or it didn't happen :D

i have experienced the same thing you are talking about "people being rude". I was on a french forum just before i got on DIYFK and people were so rude lol. I went on it the other day to look at their DIY section, could you believe that the whole first page of topics were unanswered? Most of the topics are created from beginners and none of the members even take the time to help them. On these topics you have like us, the amount of people that have viewed. Sometimes more than 20 people and no one answered. I mean that is not a thing that would happen on DIYFK.

TwoTanker
10-17-2012, 12:59 AM
I consider myself to be an advanced aquarist. Not a professional by any means but I think I know what I'm doing. This is my opinion/experience so take it however you wish.

First of all I think reading and having books give you a good base to start with. The one thing about this hobby is it's not like math where 2+2 will always equal 4. Things are always changing people are finding better ways to create filtration or care for fish. That doesn't make it wrong to do it the "old" way. People use to do it that way and were successful. Wrong? no. Outdated? Maybe. Just look at all the filtration systems we have today. They weren't all developed at the same time and yet most if not all of them are being used and are successful. Books are always gonna be useful and I don't think that they're gonna lose there usefulness anytime soon.
Second books are made by professionals who really know what they're doing. I'm not saying that people on forums are not qualified or not useful. I've had my fair share of help from people on here and other forums. I'm just saying most people don't have the credentials to say "I'm a professional" and all the information or answers are giving you will work. The people who have written these books have had years if not decades of experience. I wouldn't just toss their work away and say "nah its not useful I'm just gonna go with whatever Joe Shmoe said over there it worked for him." When Joe Shmoe only has been in the hobby for a few months or even a year or two. Mind you yes there are some books that may not be the best, but that's why you research MORE than ONE book.
Third, this is just really to back up the second argument. Now I'm not saying that forums are bad or the internet is bad, but have you heard of a website called "Wikipedia"? I bet you have. Let me tell you that place is chalk full of misinformation and there are many other website that will have information just as bad. So a problem with the internet and forums is that bad information can be spread super fast and considered correct when in reality it really is bad information.

Last, i just want to say I love this forum I love the quality of people on here and I hope this thing keeps on going for a long time.

Oh also books I would recommend:

A pocketexpert guide "Marine fish" and "Invertebrates" or The new encyclopedia of the saltwater aquarium. They both have the same info the two pocketexpert guides have more detail about each species where as the encyclopedia is more of a summary of the two books combined.

kracken
10-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Nothing wrong with books if you want out dated bias knowledge lol just kidding, I prefer the person factor and I've been on enough forums and have played enough with things to know the difference between accurate-semi-accurate-bias, etc, that's one of the good things about online, you get the benefit of many people's experience. Ultimately, it's up to the individual to get as much perspective and then they have to decide for themselves, how they want to use it. There is no such thing as good or bad, what works for some may not work for others. That's why I like this forum, people are very open and friendly and not so stuck up or quick to judge about sharing knowledge. It works, the internet has changed the face of what we call "getting the know how". I read what I need but I haven't picked up a book in years, nothing in there that I haven't already discovered myself or on the internet, well maybe some things :lol:

It's all good, read a book, browse a forum, do what works. :)

h2so4hurts
10-17-2012, 02:12 PM
It's all good, read a book, browse a forum, do what works. :)

I think if you voiced that opinion from the beginning, we wouldn't have had this discussion.

fiesta90150
10-17-2012, 02:32 PM
lol. it was nice to see how people like to learn about this hobby.