PDA

View Full Version : How Many Hours Does Fish Sleep

GoggleEye
09-27-2012, 05:44 AM
Here goes,

Trying to figure out how many hours per day do fish sleep?

Do fish require sleep?

If so, how many hours of sleep do they require?

Im not sure about all species of fish. Discus do not have eye lids so they cannot blink. How do they sleep with there eyes open?

When I Google the subject I get zero hits.

Any thoughts?

qwerk
09-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Fish sleep with eyes open. They do require sleep but I am not sure if there is any scientific knowledge regarding the amount of sleep they require. As far as I have learnt they sleep differently to most species. I would say to be safe give them at least 6-8 hours as they would get in nature.

fiesta90150
09-27-2012, 08:13 AM
well my fish go to sleep every time the lights go off lol.

My neons go to bottom of tank in the plants, loose their color and then when i turn the lights on their color comes back (i find that so amazing).

The lights are off from 8pm to 1pm

matt121966
09-27-2012, 02:21 PM
7 hours or they are crabby

Monster7
09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Lol.

Seriously though, just turn you lights off when you're in bed or not around. The fish will handle the rest.

Sent from R'lyeh.

CrazyEyes
09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
I wish I had an exact answer. It is funny though when the light comes on in the morning and seeing my clown fish literally laying in the sand bed, then swimming around slowly for a few minutes as if he still waking up and then goes back to his rock for a few minutes, then starts swimming like normal.

Divinehammer
09-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I feed my fish at 8:30 pm and shut their light of at 8:50 pm and comes on at 5:50 am they are are all dopy fir the first minute or so then it's like feed me LOL! :lol: I keep the same routine 7 days a week.

CrazyEyes
09-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Man, 5:50am is too early for me, I need to move the tank out of the room so it can come on earlier.

Divinehammer
09-28-2012, 01:36 AM
Man, 5:50am is too early for me, I need to move the tank out of the room so it can come on earlier.

yes I agree if I had my way would be 9 am, but sadly my boss wants me at work for 7 am, :lol:

CaptainCassie
09-28-2012, 05:27 AM

:rofl:

fiesta90150
09-28-2012, 06:03 AM

yes I agree if I had my way would be 9 am, but sadly my boss wants me at work for 7 am, :lol:

well tell you boss, let me wake up later so i can turn the light for the fishes on at 9 lol, let us know what he said :lol: :lol:

GoggleEye
09-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Ok, a lot of times we are up until two or three in the morning and up by eight. Some times they hide behind the wood around ten at night. Maybe they are tired and ready for sleep? The Discus are always up when we are up since the lights are always on. I have noticed when the lights are first on the are a bit groggy and they are not interested in eating. Was also supprised there has not been any research on the subject that I could find on the net.

I do appreciate all the imput. :clap:

Divinehammer
09-28-2012, 09:20 PM

well tell you boss, let me wake up later so i can turn the light for the fishes on at 9 lol, let us know what he said :lol: :lol:

the conversation would go: Rick I need to stay home till 9 to turn my fish tank lights on, Rick: you be here by 7 or find new job. So the fish get up at 5:50 am and go to bed by 8:50 pm and everyone is happy and still feed LOL! :lol:

kracken
10-02-2012, 04:27 AM
I believe fish rest, but don't sleep, sleeping in such a predatory environment will get you killed.

Humaiz
10-02-2012, 04:45 AM
and from where did that saying come? "Sleep with the fishes" Midnight madness(its a car game, if you fall into the water those words appear)

fiesta90150
10-02-2012, 07:31 AM
and from where did that saying come? "Sleep with the fishes" Midnight madness(its a car game, if you fall into the water those words appear)

lol never heard of that game. And if its a car game what are you doing in the water? hahah :lol: :lol: :lol: joke

Shadowhawk
10-03-2012, 01:06 AM
I believe fish rest, but don't sleep, sleeping in such a predatory environment will get you killed.

its a game called survival of the fitest!

GoggleEye
10-03-2012, 01:34 AM
maybe that is why fish do not have eye lids. always looking for a preditor? Would get to grouchy :lol:

megaphoenix
10-03-2012, 01:59 AM
All living creatures need a period of rest and sleep is that rest period. They hide to avoid predators, is this perfect, of course not. With schooling fish, I have noticed with the lights out, some fish are hidden away and some are swimming around. I honestly think they take turns sleeping and playing distraction.

Humaiz
10-03-2012, 03:59 AM
Do fish sleep?
Answer:Yes fish sleep. But itís not sleep as we know it. They donít have eyelids to close, they sometimes do it during the day, they donít show the characteristic brainwave patterns like REM sleep seen in humans, and some, including most sharks have to keep swimming in their sleep.

How can you tell if a fish is asleep?
Answer2: In human terms, they donít have the type of day / night lives that we recognise on the old 9 to 5 routine. Some fish are active by day, others by night. Many fishes live quite still lives on a regular day / night cycle. (Deep down itís pretty dark anyway!)

Source: http://bigquestion.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... ish-sleep/ (http://bigquestion.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/how-do-fish-sleep/)

fiesta90150
10-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Do fish sleep?
Answer:Yes fish sleep. But itís not sleep as we know it. They donít have eyelids to close, they sometimes do it during the day, they donít show the characteristic brainwave patterns like REM sleep seen in humans, and some, including most sharks have to keep swimming in their sleep.

How can you tell if a fish is asleep?
Answer2: In human terms, they donít have the type of day / night lives that we recognise on the old 9 to 5 routine. Some fish are active by day, others by night. Many fishes live quite still lives on a regular day / night cycle. (Deep down itís pretty dark anyway!)

Source: http://bigquestion.wordpress.com/2008/0 ... ish-sleep/ (http://bigquestion.wordpress.com/2008/03/04/how-do-fish-sleep/)

Cool info Humaiz.

including most sharks have to keep swimming in their sleep.
Is this how we come to find sharks on the beach? lol they just keep swimming while they sleep :lol: :lol: :lol:

megaphoenix
10-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Actually Humaiz, you are incorrect but only slightly, about sharks. About 5 or 10 years ago, scientists discovered different caves throughout the world that have a very high concentration of oxygen in the water. They also found several species of sharks motionless and sleeping there. The high oxygen content allowed them to stop moving as the oxygen rich water washed over their gills. I am not certain about how many of these have been found but if I am not mistaken one of them was in France.

GoggleEye
10-04-2012, 04:13 AM
Whales are not a fish but a mamal. Do they have eye lids and I wonder if they require more sleep and how much sleep they need?

Humaiz
10-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Actually Humaiz, you are incorrect but only slightly, about sharks. About 5 or 10 years ago, scientists discovered different caves throughout the world that have a very high concentration of oxygen in the water. They also found several species of sharks motionless and sleeping there. The high oxygen content allowed them to stop moving as the oxygen rich water washed over their gills. I am not certain about how many of these have been found but if I am not mistaken one of them was in France.

Wow thats quite interesting :fish: fact.

fiesta90150
10-04-2012, 07:59 AM

interesting, but know you have freaked me out about diving anymore over here lol. :( :( :lol:

I will have to check that one out this is interesting.

fiesta90150
10-04-2012, 08:08 AM
these are apparently places where sharks rest in high oxygenated areas. líÓle plate, Corsair's wall, Le banc rouge. Le coin de mire.

Humaiz
10-04-2012, 09:41 AM

interesting, but know you have freaked me out about diving anymore over here lol. :( :( :lol:

I will have to check that one out this is interesting.

hehe..

qwerk
10-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Night vision goggles at night and you can see the different behavoir in your fish. Their brains are still active whilst in rest/sleep mode. Like how we breath during the night, thier fins intermitently paddle to keep oxygen washing over thier gills giving the appearance they are awake. Some species like the pleco actually graze during the dark because it is safe. All the predatory fish hunt by day whilst all the clean up crew clean by night ;)