PDA

View Full Version : Need some basic info plz

Billydavis94
06-26-2012, 07:38 AM
Hey guys iv been keeping fw tanks for a few years now and im keen to start a small sw tank, with a couple easy fish to get use to it,th e only problem iswhere i live pretty much none of the lfs sell any marine fish or equip so its hard to get started. Also because of this its hard to find any knowledge or anyone to teach me the basics, so i thought id ask you.
Please correct my mistakes if im confused, problem 1. Salinity, no shops here sell salt mix so i would have to order it online, but i live at the door of the great barrier reef so id thought id use ocean water,is this ok? Im under the impression that salt dosnt evaporate so the water gets saltier as the water evaporates, if salt dosnt evaporate would i be able to top up the tank with fw and be able to keep a safe salinity? And do waterchanges with ocean water. Is it worth buying a refractometer over a basic hydrometer? And if so could i get away with a quick cheap chineese ebay brand or do i need quality?
Im looking at probly a small fowlr tank with maybe a couple of clownfish or something, are these good beginner fish? Ive heard circulation is very important in a sw setup, and if so what sort of flow rate would i need for a small tank under 100l. Thanks heaps for any info and excuse the rambling im just trying to figure out the basics. Thanks, billy

qwerk
06-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Personaly for brands out of Asia such as HK and China I would shy away from them only the fact of warranties and guarantees. Nothing worse getting something you can't get any warranty on. If you are keeping any fish but especially SW fish protect your investment.

I love clowns they are easy to keep but my all time fav is Goby fish. Goby are easy to keep too.

For the wave maker, since you have a small tank get one rated for nano tanks.

Hope I could help.

Billydavis94
06-27-2012, 03:43 AM
Cheers

issaicb
07-06-2012, 10:42 PM
first the tank size 30 gallons and you will be set second were your at ocean water is better than salt mix so yes use ocean water. second for a fowler tank you only need a hydrometer also salt doesn't evaporate so you have to use fw to keep the salinity rite. as for water changes i would most defiantly use ocean water. you should never need salt mix. for first fish clown fish they are ok but you need to add both at the same time to prevent fighting. in a 30 gallon tank depending on dimension. i would say 550 gph overall. any more question just ask.

Billydavis94
07-07-2012, 12:24 AM
Awesome thanks heaps