PDA

View Full Version : Proper circulation question

TwoTanker
06-16-2012, 12:29 AM
One of my problems I have had in my 90g FOWLR is to much flow from one side and parts of my aquarium were different temperatures so I turned off my power head but then my temp rose like 5 degrees higher than I had set. Can anyone help me pick the right power heads and right placement?

megaphoenix
06-17-2012, 04:55 AM
Twotanker, you know better than this. :roll: Where are the pictures of the set up and what kind of powerhead are you using? Pictures need to show whatever rock formations you have in there as well.

By the way, please know I am just messing with you a little. :lol:

AussieDIYFK
06-17-2012, 06:20 AM
marine really do need extra circulation, as mega suggested photos are a must for a topic like this. what powerheads do u have at the moment?

TwoTanker
06-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Lol well I'm actually in the process of tearing it down and setting it back up had a marine ich outbreak so my fish are qt'ing I'm thinking about one of these [attachment=1:4irv1tem]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339957308.071020.jpg[/attachment:4irv1tem]
[attachment=0:4irv1tem]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339957324.626071.jpg[/attachment:4irv1tem]

The pics to the right of them are a top view

And previously I used my canister filters output and a power head on the opposite side to create circulation, but my power head was way to strong it did 2400 gph so now I'm in the process of finding other ones, I've been thinking about the marineland ones, the only bad things I've heard about them are they or loud for the first 20 sec of turning on, and I have one powering my protein skimmer right now.

h2so4hurts
06-17-2012, 05:49 PM
I have 6x 1400 GPH powerheads in my marine tank in addition to two 1200 GPH return pumps. That's almost 11,000 GPH in 140 gallons of water. I have no algae issues and definitely no dead spots :P Look into the Koralia Evolution pumps. They are silent and have a wide flow angle.

Aquascaping is a big part of getting correct flow. A lot of people like to stack their rock on the back wall of the tank. The problem with this is that the whole back of the tank is a huge dead spot. Make sure you keep rocks at least 3" away from the glass so you can get adequate flow around them. This also gives you enough room to fit in a mag float or a scraper to keep the glass clean. My scape is similar to the right triangle style you posted in the pic above.

TwoTanker
06-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Yeah but I think the main problem is theres to much flow in one spot. Whenever It was on all my fish were getting pushed so much they couldn't swim and would sit in the liverock away from the current, and funny that you mentioned stacking the live rock because that's exactly what I did, but I'm trying to change it up now.

h2so4hurts
06-17-2012, 08:11 PM
The problem you had was probably that the flow was too concentrated. Get powerheads that diffuse the flow. Like I said, the Koralia Evolutions are really good on a budget. If you want the best of the best, check out Tunze and EcoTech.

TwoTanker
06-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah that's what I was trying to say it was to concentrated and budget wise the marineland are very very good for a budget l, but the reviews are all over the place for them I may buy one and see how it is or go for the koralias

AussieDIYFK
06-17-2012, 10:02 PM
ive heard good things about the koralias, they actualy pivot side to side so you wont have that strong current in just one spot.
when placing your base or live rock its good to have them with the spikey side down on the substrate this also removes dead spots, one of the keys to having a nice algae free tank is having minimal dead spots

TwoTanker
06-20-2012, 04:48 PM
This is how my rock turned out. Not really any of the pictures it kinda fell into place lol but It solid and I didn't want to mess with the good thing. Do you foresee any problems with the way it's set up?

[attachment=1:31f0cn5j]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340221602.494555.jpg[/attachment:31f0cn5j]
[attachment=0:31f0cn5j]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340221633.442615.jpg[/attachment:31f0cn5j]

megaphoenix
08-09-2012, 05:14 AM
Lol well I'm actually in the process of tearing it down and setting it back up had a marine ich outbreak so my fish are qt'ing I'm thinking about one of these The pics to the right of them are a top view

Hahahahaha I have that same book. Plan to put it to use one day.

GoggleEye
08-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Im imvious twotank. Wish I could find a decent LFS with salties. Great pictures :clap: thank you for the post great learning curve for some one that has zero experience with salties

qwerk
08-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Man that tank is stylish! Did you make it or buy it? I love the curve on the front. Acrylic or Glass?

TwoTanker
08-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I was given it actually lol. I'm turning it into my cichlid tank now. I want to start a new sw from scratch.