PDA

View Full Version : long tentacle anemone

Shazo
05-25-2012, 10:33 PM
so I was at the pet store today and wanted to get a mushroom cluster he had. When he picked up the rock there was a small long tentacle anemone attached to it. He tried to detach it briefly and then asked if I wanted the anemone as well and I said yes but didn't want to spend another $30. He cut me a deal and basically sold me the anemone for an additional $10. Anyway to get to the root of what I am so excited about learning now having this anemone in my tank now. I have done a little reading on anemones and I had no idea they crawl around like snails! It is amazing! It crawled of the rock the mushrooms are on so I was able to move them and now this thing is just crawling around my tank looking for a place to call home. I keep going in there to check on it and its just scooting along. I am rather amazed by this and Im sure some of you long time reef guys think Im nuts but a lot of this reef life is mind boggling to me and Im loving it!

Kat
05-26-2012, 09:25 AM
is it really white with purple or pink tips? sounds like a condilactous (sp?) and isn't worth more than 10 bucks....keep an eye on it, they have a powerful sting and can damage other corals etc. They are kind of the bottom of the bucket anemone...

h2so4hurts
05-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Nems love to sting corals. They'll kill pretty much anything they touch.

loco2manis
05-26-2012, 03:58 PM
Note to self ..... Buy no Nems.

Shazo
05-26-2012, 06:19 PM
is it really white with purple or pink tips? sounds like a condilactous (sp?) and isn't worth more than 10 bucks....keep an eye on it, they have a powerful sting and can damage other corals etc. They are kind of the bottom of the bucket anemone...

I dunno seems more pink with white tips...... can you identify it from the photo?
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s467/shazo2/2012-05-26_15-58-20_969.jpg
I have seen several of them around in the local pet shops and the are always just listed as long tentacle and ones this size seem to always be around $30 bigger ones Iv seen for $60-$70+. It seems to have found a place it likes peeking out from under this rock and it is a good distance away from any other coral. The mushrooms that were in the bag with it seem to be taking awhile to open back up. There are three in the cluster two of them were about 2" around and one was about an inch around and they were a yellowish white in color. They are almost back to the size they were but are light brown now they were darker and seem to be getting lighter in color slowly.

Shazo
05-26-2012, 06:24 PM
what is a good anemone? I seem to really like big carpets but have been told to steer clear because they tend to eat fish and turbo snails? I meet a guy who has a two year old scar from a carpet he said it stung the crap out of him! It looked nasty

h2so4hurts
05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Carpets are also very sensitive. A lot of them die in tanks that aren't well established.

navyreefer83
05-28-2012, 10:23 PM
Cool pick-up for $10. I don't know the name of it, but defiantly watch it, they will move around a lot until they find that sweet spot, ensure it doesn't think that spot is your power head, cause you're bound to have it chopped up and that would suck...if it gets somewhere you don't want it (i.e...under a rock which sometimes a good undertow will draw it to there.) I recommend using a small pump with a low flow rate maybe 50gph or lower and keep it pointed at it until the foot gets loose, or the nem get's the hell out of dodge on it's own.

Good luck!

Shazo
05-29-2012, 02:08 AM
I like it so far its been minding its own and hasn't moved in a few days.