PDA

View Full Version : Help me to set up new tank

Leo75
04-16-2012, 11:16 PM
I have this one : JBJ 28 Gallon Nano Cube LED Aquarium Intermediate . But i dont know this tank for saltwater . I already set up the stand and idk what kit's i need for this tank . Or it's ready at all.

Link of my tank : http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-28g-nano-led.html

Kat
04-17-2012, 07:59 AM
well, it sounds like it has everything you need to add water!! But that is about it!! I had a quick read of the manual and you will need to get a small skimmer...a must if you want to keep coral!! You should consider removing the carbon and sponge that comes with it and use that chamber for a macro algae instead...Contact Marc Levenson, he is in Fort Worth...is website is...http://www.melevsreef.com/ see if you can get some contacts from him to hook you up with some live sand from established tanks...get some good LIVE ROCK...avoid getting the dry and seeding it...it WILL leech phosphates and drive you nuts!!

As for test kits...get quality!! invest in salifert, elos, and API if that is all you can find.

Also, find a mentor in your area...see what works for them, and be able to look at home systems up close...they really are different than store systems!

post pics of your set up and keep us posted!!

h2so4hurts
04-17-2012, 11:38 AM
get some good LIVE ROCK...avoid getting the dry and seeding it...it WILL leech phosphates and drive you nuts!!

This couldn't be further from the truth. I have seeded all of my tanks with dry rock, either BRS reefsaver or BRS dry rock and have had no phosphate issues. There is absolutely no reason to spend $8/lb on live rock when you can seed $2/lb dry rock and get the same color and bacterial diversity in as little as 3 months.

Leo75
04-17-2012, 09:09 PM
If i want to buy rock but i dont know where. Can u guys so me somewhere or store. I live in Houston , Tx and Zip Code : 77064 :D. Tks guys

megaphoenix
04-17-2012, 09:15 PM
If i want to buy rock but i dont know where. Can u guys so me somewhere or store. I live in Houston , Tx and Zip Code : 77064 :D. Tks guys

Leo, you don't have any LFS around in Houston? I would visit with some of them and find people in there who have sw tanks and talk to them about where they got the things they needed like live rock/sand.

Also and Kat and h2so4hurts may both bite my head off for this but I am still going to suggest it. Save yourself some money and make your own base rock then add live rock in to seed it. I would skimp on the live rock and would make sure to have plenty but you may be able to get away with half of what you would need without it.

h2so4hurts
04-18-2012, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure you can make rock for less than $3/lb. Fake rock never looks as nice, but do whatever you want :)

I get all of my rock from bulkreefsupply.com