PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae

Uncle_Tom
03-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Quick question DIY community,

What is the best way to clean plastic plants that are developing brown algae on the top portion?

Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks,
Tom

kellray
03-01-2012, 11:55 PM
I had the same problem .I soak them in vinegar for a few minutes, then I roll them in my hands, kind of scrunching them together and rinsing them till it's clean. Does that make any sense?

Uncle_Tom
03-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Hi kellray,

Yes it does make sense, thank you. Do you dilute the vinegar or use it pure?
Do you also soak the plant in water to remove any vinegar remaining when finished?
Regards,
Tom

kellray
03-02-2012, 08:42 AM
I use pure vinegar, then I make sure to rinse it well.

fishguy32
03-02-2012, 08:53 AM
I do the same thing. I soak half of the plants at a time and do it every six months. works really well with plastic plants but in my experience it doesn't work well with the all silk plants from Hagen Aquatics, the vinegar weakens the bond between the first layer of silk and the substructure.

carriej
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Brown algae is usually diatoms.. Slimey algae that rubs off easily. Almost all algae eating fish love diatoms.

Best thing I found to use when I was keeping silk plants (now im all real) was a soft bristled toothbrush and a combination of ottos.

kracken
03-02-2012, 12:02 PM
The easiest way is to simply fill up a bucket with hot water and drop them in, instant algae gone, makes it easier to rub off any extra too.

fishguy32
03-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Brown algae is usually diatoms.. Slimey algae that rubs off easily. Almost all algae eating fish love diatoms.

Best thing I found to use when I was keeping silk plants (now im all real) was a soft bristled toothbrush and a combination of ottos.

What are Ottos?

carriej
03-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Ottos are small algae eating fish.

It's a nickname for otocinclus which I don't even know if I spelled that right (it's why I say ottos).

Plecos are great for algae on the glass - but nothing beats an otto for getting the algae off everything else.

Uncle_Tom
03-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Thanks everyone, great advice!

:clap:

AussieDIYFK
03-13-2012, 09:47 AM
ottos are def the go for brown algea as carrie was saying or just simpily rub off
brown algea are diatoms coused from new tank syndrome and to much silica in water, i had a huge outbreak when i first started my new tank