PDA

View Full Version : What to do without a quarantine tank

Tankman
02-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi there guys. I was just woundering if you might have some ideas for me for when i introduce my new fish in my aquarium since i dont have a quarantine tank to put them in once they arrive. I dont want to harm the fish in anyway but I also can't afford a quarantine tank right now.

Any suggestions or ideas for me so that i dont over exert the fish when i introduce them in my s/w tank?

thanks

FuzzyLogic
02-19-2012, 11:21 AM
There are several things you can do even if you do not have a quarantine tank. 1st I would make sure the watar parameters are good and do a water change. This will ensure your fish is going into a healthy environment during this stressful time. I would also make sure the fish in the tank have already been fed. With cichlids sometimes we do this to cut down on aggression as well as provide many hiding places for new fish. You could also introduce the new fish with all the lights out on the tank. Id keep the lights off for a few hours and you should be all set.

Tankman
02-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Most likely what will be going in first are a fiew maroon clowns and an anemonee

FuzzyLogic
02-19-2012, 11:34 AM
How do you plan on acclimating them?

Tankman
02-19-2012, 11:39 AM
Well just like i always do with all my other fishes, insert them in the tank after letting the package they came in soak in the tank water for about 30min for both water temps to acclamate and them setting them loose into the tank. never kept an anemonne before so i dont really know what process to use for it sintroduction in the tank.

megaphoenix
02-19-2012, 12:22 PM
Perhaps you should look into the drip method and using a Rubbermaid tote or something?

UaruJoey
02-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Get yourself a rubbermaid tote, a sponge filter and heater.

Work on finding a cheap second hand tank to have a QT.

h2so4hurts
02-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I was just woundering if you might have some ideas for me for when i introduce my new fish in my aquarium since i dont have a quarantine tank to put them in once they arrive. I dont want to harm the fish in anyway but I also can't afford a quarantine tank right now.
thanks

Heater, rubbermaid tub, sponge filter. That won't cost you more than $20. Don't make excuses for putting your animals at risk. The QT tank also needs to cycle, or your sponge filter needs to be seeded in another tank for at least 2 weeks.

All invertebrates should be drip acclimated for an hour or more. You don't need to QT invertebrates, you definitely need to quarantine your fish.

I always do a 1 hour dip in formalin and malachite green for my fish. This should kill pretty much anything on them. Formalin (150mg/L)/malachite green (0.5mg/L) ~ 5mL of Kordon Rid Ich+ per gallon of water. You must also constantly aerate the water. A small bubble stone and air pump will work perfectly. Almost every fish tolerates this treatment very well. I have only ever had problems with small chromis.

Tankman
02-19-2012, 10:36 PM
Does anybody know some good vids on youtube for this drip method?

I do have a 10g I can use as a quarantine tank, I just need to move the current residantes (Was going to shut it down once my 170 was up and running) I've just been told that It would be useless especially since the clowns need a bigger swiming space then a 10g offers. But on the off chance that i dont need to get something bigger, Should i just add salt to my water and continue cycling it or should i change the water completly since it was housing f/w fish.

Thanks.

h2so4hurts
02-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Tie a couple of knots in a piece of airline tube and start a siphon. Tighten the knots until the water coming out of the end is at a rate of 4-5 drops per second.