PDA

View Full Version : How to care for Anemone's???

C&Rman
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
I am almost ready to add fish to my aquarium. I plan on adding 2 ocellaries. I want to add an anemone come time. I found one online with medium lighting needs, which is perfect for my tank, I think?
I have a Marineland LED light fixture. I went with 2 watts per gallon, and 400 lumens. If that isnt enough I can add a single flourescent bulb. Do I have the needs to care for anemone's and also what do they eaT I read somewhere that they eat brine shrimp? Is there any other food source?
Thanks,
Christian...

issaicb
02-15-2012, 01:22 AM
so you will have clowns so you will need to feed about once a week it is good to have a variety of foods.
silver sides.
brine shrimp.
you could feed fresh cod
and other foods

Wildisme
02-15-2012, 02:39 AM
I don't think the single bright or double bright is good for SW corals. The ReefBright series has the stronger LEDs to penetrate better.

1 ReefBright fixture offers the equivalent PAR of a twin T5 Fixture.

You may want to research a bit on clowns and anemones. Although clowns host a lot of different things, Anemones, FrogSpawn, Xenia etc...

You may want to find a clown to fit your anemone or visversa. Clarki tend to host to an rose bubble tip naturally where as an occellaris prefers a carpet. However, Carpets are one of the hardest anemones to care for, get 3'+ in diameter and can cause a serious reaction in humans.

Just research a bit on their hosting if that's one of your main reasons to get one. My occellaris will not host my Xenia, frogspawn, Anthelia, hammer head, or my RBTA in 3 months now. However I know of occellaris that have hosted all of these within a few days in different tanks. So good luck.

Tankman
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Since were on the subject of anemonee's. I'm gona be adding a snowflake eel in my tank along with some clowns and an anemonee. I know the eel might be prown to eat the clowns but with an anemonee present for them to hide in will that be enaugh to deter the eel from seeing my clowns as a quick lunch.

Wildisme
02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Not really.

Tankman
02-15-2012, 03:30 PM
so im guessing the best way to stop that from happening is either just get the biggest clowns i can find so the eel wont eat them or not get any at all.

DavidNZ
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
I personally wouldn't risk it at all. I don't know about the fish prices there, but a pair of clowns run up about $140, so that would really be an expensive meal!

Wildisme
02-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Here in Chicago they sell for $50-60 pair. Goes up from there when you look into clarki, Onyx, Snowflake etc...

An ell will pretty much eat anything that can fit in their mouths.

Wildisme
02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Plus like I said. Even with an anemone, theirs no guarantee that they will even host.

Tankman
02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Damn, I was hoping to carry all 3 in my new 170 im building, guess i'll have to rethink what im putting in there.

Tankman
02-15-2012, 06:15 PM
maybe just get a smaller eel. lol...

DavidNZ
02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
You guys have it good... Everything is so much more expensive down here :(

Wildisme
02-15-2012, 06:46 PM
I'll bet. I can get most tangs, gobys, angels for less than $50. Depends on the type but most are under that.

h2so4hurts
02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
1W LEDs aren't strong enough for most nems. I wouldn't even try it.

C&Rman
02-15-2012, 10:16 PM
Dang! I was really hoping I could have an anemone. I might just try a fake one. I saw a video once of clowns hosting in a fake rubber anemone. Plus I will be adding some SPS corals so maybe they'll host in one of the softer ones.

Here I can get clowns for $15 bucks each and $40 for a pair. Tangs run anywhere from $30-300 but my tank isn't big enough for a tang, so there's the down side to those cheap prices.

issaicb
02-16-2012, 01:37 AM
anemones are one of the hardest things i have ever keeped it actually died before i got an eel anemones are heard work
you have to have good light good flow the rite kind of foods you don't get an anemone just to watch you get for the clowns.
so that adds to bio load increasing water changes and filters. you need to feed the rite amount to and if your lucky it will
stay one place other wise t moves every were. i had a bubble tip anemone it bubbles rarely.
i won't be trying one again for a while.

Wildisme
02-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Ummm, SPS demands the most lighting out of all types of corals. If you don't have enough light for an anemone then you have no chance at SPS.

I realize you kinda just jumped into it. But I would suggest you do quite a bit more research before moving forward. Understand what types of coral there is and what they need. Lighting, flow, water parameters, dosing etc...

h2so4hurts
02-16-2012, 10:19 AM
SPS are definitely out, and there are no "soft" varieties of SPS. They are all sharp and hard :P The only thing you could really put in there are maybe mushrooms and kenya trees. There are also a lot of non-photosynthetic corals you could look in to. The problem with those is that you have to target feed them every day. If you really want corals, I'd try to find a used T5 fixture with individual reflectors or DIY an LED fixture.

DeBrito
03-09-2012, 10:38 PM
If you do decide to do anemones however they are a joy to keep. I loved em when I had mine. Word of advice based on personal experience. Being that they move, everywhere lol, be careful what powerhead / circulation pumps you use. Most are safe but if the anemone gets too close to the strainer their soft tentacles can and may very well get sucked in destroying the anemone. Just my cents on this topics