PDA

View Full Version : Jumped in to SW today...

sboisvert
02-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Picked this up off Craigs List today for $175.00

22 Gallon CAD Light Saltwater Aquarium and stand. This thing was nasty dirty, got it home and cleaned it up. Came with the live sand, live rock, lights, clown, cherry clown and the black fish that I can't remember what she said it was. The white lights are burned out and the original owner appears to have broken the clips on the ends of the bulbs trying to get them out. I'll probably retrofit it with LEDs anyway.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/sboisvert74/46cc4bef.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/sboisvert74/53b0fa86.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/sboisvert74/fb405dc3.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/sboisvert74/3dedd399.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/sboisvert74/33179fef.jpg

Don't really know what I'm doing with SW, so hopefully I won't kill these guys...

kellray
02-14-2012, 10:26 PM
Looks awesome :)

megaphoenix
02-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Looks good, and you can't beat the price, IMO.

DavidNZ
02-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Very nice!

issaicb
02-15-2012, 01:19 AM
do you have any questions so that you don't kill the fish

Wildisme
02-15-2012, 02:44 AM
First off congrats on the new setup. Seem to be getting a lot more SW here lately.

The black fish looks like a 3 Spot Damsel also know as a Domino Damsel.

If you have any questions please ask. We have quite a few knowledgeable SW guys here.

sboisvert
02-15-2012, 08:43 AM
do you have any questions so that you don't kill the fish

I'm sure I will...

They seem to be doing much better now that the tank is clean and I got a lot of the junk out. They were hiding and didn't seem too active when I picked it up last night. Before I went to bed last night they were out swimming all over the place, very active. Came right out to eat this morning when I fed them too.

I do probably need to do a few water changes this week, though I'm not sure what's the best way to do this with SW. 90% of the water in the tank is the original water (took a 5 gallon bucket filled it with water and the live rock, and then a big tote for the fish and the rest of the water). She did give me about a bag and half of instant ocean salts, I'll have to read the instructions on that a little more in depth tonight.

One thing I didn't do and I probably should have was to clean the rocks off. There was a lot of stringy brown algae on them, not sure if that's normal in salt water or not (may not be algae, only think I could think of, I'll try to get a better pic tonight). Was kind of afraid of killing of the bacteria, as I'm pretty sure I killed off anything that was in the sand (wasn't thinking and filled it with hot water to clean).

sboisvert
02-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Looks good, and you can't beat the price, IMO.

Yeah it was the price that got me, these sell for well over $300 for just the tank and light.

sboisvert
02-15-2012, 09:13 AM
First off congrats on the new setup. Seem to be getting a lot more SW here lately.

The black fish looks like a 3 Spot Damsel also know as a Domino Damsel.

If you have any questions please ask. We have quite a few knowledgeable SW guys here.

Domino Damsel, I think that sounds about right. He seems to rule the tank. Somewhat aggressive, the two clowns tend to hang out together in the back of the tank, while he takes the front. Don't really like him so as much as the clowns as it's hard to see him against the black background.

TwoTanker
02-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Domino damsels are nasty I had 2 and had to give them away due to being so aggressive towards every fish I had. It killed one of my 3 striped damsels.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.650105,-89.398156

sboisvert
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Here's a video of the algae looking stuff I was talking about... Should I take the rocks out and clean that off? What's the best way to clean them if I do?

[youtube:3sj8vqtn]_oQLkZ8QlBs[/youtube:3sj8vqtn]

Wildisme
02-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Kinda hard to tell. Do you have any white lighting on? That's very very blue.

As long as you cut down on ur phosphates and TDS numbers then any bad algae should go away on its own shortly after.

sboisvert
02-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Lol. No white light yet. Just the acincs. The white bulbs are burnt out and the clips on the ends are broken so no use in buying replacements. As soon as the GF gets here we're heading to the LFS and I'm going to see if they have anything in that will fit the tank and support coral growth LED wise. If not I'm going to have to find something online or retrofit the current lights with LEDs.

Wasn't sure if it was just algae or if it was some gunk that I should clean off.

I will say this, the fish seem much happier with the tank cleaned. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildisme
02-15-2012, 06:48 PM
I'll bet. Get some new lighting. Led or T5 should be good for u. But make sure they are 3w+LEDs to get enough par for corals.

For T5 you wanna go with 10k/Actinic. Or if u can get ATI BluePlus/ATI Coral Plus.

sboisvert
02-15-2012, 10:21 PM
I'll bet. Get some new lighting. Led or T5 should be good for u. But make sure they are 3w+LEDs to get enough par for corals.

For T5 you wanna go with 10k/Actinic. Or if u can get ATI BluePlus/ATI Coral Plus.

Picked up a Tablet LED tonight Daylight says 14K for the color:

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/sboisvert74/1783e028.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/sboisvert74/9488d427.jpg
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb433/sboisvert74/dc2a13f6.jpg

sboisvert
02-15-2012, 10:24 PM
Better video of the "algae":

[youtube:2163zzu5]6aD2TdPdJYo[/youtube:2163zzu5]

issaicb
02-16-2012, 01:29 AM
it looks kinda like green hair algae to get rid of it just get some snails they'l eat rite up

Wildisme
02-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Well, I have to say, the new lighting looks great. However, does it have any details on the LEDs? Not to sure if it can do any coral.

I also see a new cleaner shrimp. Glad to see your adding already.

As far as the algae, I'm still not sure. It looks much more brown then green hair looks normally. But like I said, make sure ur phosphates and TDS is low and any unwanted algae will go away. Hermits will typically do better with long algae like that too.

sboisvert
02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Well, I have to say, the new lighting looks great. However, does it have any details on the LEDs? Not to sure if it can do any coral.

I also see a new cleaner shrimp. Glad to see your adding already.

As far as the algae, I'm still not sure. It looks much more brown then green hair looks normally. But like I said, make sure ur phosphates and TDS is low and any unwanted algae will go away. Hermits will typically do better with long algae like that too.

As far as the LEDs are concerned I talked to the "lighting expert" at the LFS and he assured me that I wouldn't have any problems growing corals with the light LPS or SPS. The daylight is is 14k which and there are two blue LEDs that can either be left on or turned on just for moonlighting. I need to get some timers for the light.

Yup you are correct, picked up a cleaner shrimp while I was there. Partly for its cleaning abilities, but more because I really liked the look of him. It was funny the domino went right up to him and the shrimp started cleaning him immediately after putting him in the tank.

I'm going to wait a week or so and do a couple water changes before I put any coral in. Want to get the old water out and let the system stabilize first. Which kind of sucks because the LFS had all livestock 50% off right now (including corals). Oh well, they do that at least once a month though so I'll just wait for the next sale.

Yeah the algae is brown. No green. Might pick up a couple hermit crabs like you suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sboisvert
02-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Found some more info on the light:

http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Marine-14000K-Skkye-Tablet/dp/B005K1LY0Y/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1

Amazon has it listed for $399.95 (list price in the LFS was $465 I think), it was on sale and I only paid $288.00 for it.

Product Features

- 30 watt (as bright as a 150 watt metal halide). 28 x 1 watt 14k daylight leds and 2 x 1 watt 456 nm actinic leds.
- 14k daylight leds & 456nm actinic leds have independent power cords
- Extruded aluminum arm for attaching the Tablet to the back of the aquarium. Come with both a rimless tank clamp (up to 18mm thickness) and a frame clamp (up to 30mm thickness). The aluminum arm will place the light approx. 5 inches above the rim of the tank and the center of the light will be approx. 10 inches from the back of the tank. The front of the light will be approx. 13.5 inches from the back of the tank.
- Light dimension: 12.6" X 8.25" X 1.75" (does not include extruded aluminum arm)
- Independent power cords

Product Description
IT'S SLEEK. STYLISH.SKKYE LIGHT.If versatility, performance, & - sleek design are on your short list for aquatic lighting - you may have found your MATCH!Meet the new SKKYELIGHT tablet that is flexible enough to be mounted inside a canopy or clamped on both rimless and framed aquariums with ease. Each tablet boasts powerful light output offered in 30 watt version with two independent light cycles for daylight and moonlighting. All tablets are actively cooled with a quiet frameless fan and are no bigger than a typical notebook or tablet. FEATURES 30 watt Skkye Light Tablet LED Illumination Daylight & - Moonlight Extruded Aluminum Arm Rimless Clamp (up to 18mm) thickness Frame Clamp (up to 30mm) thickness Independent Power Cords Low Voltage Transformer Actively Cooled w/ low noise frameless fan Thermally Protected Modern Design Low Profile Retrofit Hardware (Sold Separately) Individual LED Reflectors

Here's a review I found on the light too:

http://marine-engineers.org/2011/12/17/innovative-marine-skyye-8-watt-14k-led-reviewed/

sboisvert
02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Lol, and I had two of the guys at the LFS tell me I should get the Domino out of the tank as soon as possible, due to their aggressiveness . Should have asked if they would take it off my hands for some store credit.

h2so4hurts
02-16-2012, 10:13 AM
1W LEDs will never have the penetration of a metal halide. Those fixtures are junk. What they say on the box and what they are capable of doing are two different things. Sure, it can go coral, if all of your coral is in the first 10" of the surface of the water... 3W CREE LEDs are the way to go. I'd take that fixture back and spend your $300 on a much better DIY kit from rapidLED.

sboisvert
02-16-2012, 10:24 AM
1W LEDs will never have the penetration of a metal halide. Those fixtures are junk. What they say on the box and what they are capable of doing are two different things. Sure, it can go coral, if all of your coral is in the first 10" of the surface of the water... 3W CREE LEDs are the way to go. I'd take that fixture back and spend your $300 on a much better DIY kit from rapidLED.

Small tank, only 14" high, so most should be within 10" of the surface. I'll take a look at rapidLED though.

h2so4hurts
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
LOL, I pitty you for thinking you're not going to want to upgrade everything in 6 months :P Get lights you can grow with :)

sboisvert
02-16-2012, 11:18 AM
LOL, I pitty you for thinking you're not going to want to upgrade everything in 6 months :P Get lights you can grow with :)

Well this is kind of a test to see if I want to do salt water. If I like it, I'm going to convert my 75 gallon to SW once I finish the 175 gallon and move my cichlids there. So I don't want to spend too much on this small aquarium. I all ready have 4 Ecoxotic Panaorma Pro's and 2 blue stunner strips in the 75 gallon.

h2so4hurts
02-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Same goes for the ecoxotic lights. They can grow coral but you have to keep them toward the top of the tank. For what you pay for those 1W LEDs you can DIY a 250W/400W comparable fixture that can be easily transferred to bigger tanks.

Two of these on a 75 would be amazing. They even have solder free kits :)

http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-29/

sboisvert
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Same goes for the ecoxotic lights. They can grow coral but you have to keep them toward the top of the tank. For what you pay for those 1W LEDs you can DIY a 250W/400W comparable fixture that can be easily transferred to bigger tanks.

Two of these on a 75 would be amazing. They even have solder free kits :)

http://www.rapidled.com/biocube-29/

I was debating on moving the ecoxotic lights to the 175, so maybe I'll do that and upgrade the lighting in the 75.

Wildisme
02-16-2012, 05:43 PM
Id return n go RapidLED. You can easily do a nice light DIY for $300.

1W LEDs just dont have it.

GoggleEye
02-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Congrats on the SW Tank and set up. I know you have had aquariums for a time. I would like to see pictures on changes you make and fish.

Currius what equipment do you have set up on the tank such as chiller, protein skimmer and filter system?

Would like to learn as you go thru the process. Have always been interested in SW I have stayed clear untill I get more experience with fresh water.

Great Pictures

Thanks

h2so4hurts
02-17-2012, 12:36 PM
If you do things right, you should never need a chiller. The only people I know that have chillers have massive systems with high wattage metal halides.

On the topic of skimmers, you get what you pay for. Octopus and ASM are my favorite brands for reasonably priced high quality skimmers. See if you can get these used, you'll probably save around 50%. You could also do a DIY. Skimmers are pretty easy to make out of PVC. The most important thing is to get a quality needlewheel/venturi pump. Sedras are my personal favorite :)

sboisvert
02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Congrats on the SW Tank and set up. I know you have had aquariums for a time. I would like to see pictures on changes you make and fish.

Currius what equipment do you have set up on the tank such as chiller, protein skimmer and filter system?

Would like to learn as you go thru the process. Have always been interested in SW I have stayed clear untill I get more experience with fresh water.

Great Pictures

Thanks

It has a built in sump and refugium on the back of the tank. I currently have some bio-balls in the first chamber under the drip plate. I haven't put anything in the refugium yet, as they didn't have any macro algae at the LFS when I was there the other day. No chiller, the protein skimmer that came with it doesn't work, so I don't have one running on it yet. Something I'm looking into, but I need to find something small as there isn't a whole lot of room in the filter area (its only about 4 or 5 inches wide).

sboisvert
02-17-2012, 01:18 PM
If you do things right, you should never need a chiller. The only people I know that have chillers have massive systems with high wattage metal halides.

On the topic of skimmers, you get what you pay for. Octopus and ASM are my favorite brands for reasonably priced high quality skimmers. See if you can get these used, you'll probably save around 50%. You could also do a DIY. Skimmers are pretty easy to make out of PVC. The most important thing is to get a quality needlewheel/venturi pump. Sedras are my personal favorite :)

:?: Wondering, if I can't find a decent skimmer small enough if I could do an over flow into a 10 gallon and put the skimmer in there and then pump it back up into the filter system on the back. :?:

megaphoenix
02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't see why you couldn't. Actually sounds like a decent plan to me.

sboisvert
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Does the intake for the skimmer (or the overflow going to the skimmer) need to be in the main tank area or can it come from the refugium on the back. I think of skimmer as skimming the top for some reason, though I don't think that's the case (its just pulling the protein crap from the water itself, right?). The refugium is as after the filter sponge and bioballs so just want to make sure it would be in the right place.

megaphoenix
02-17-2012, 03:24 PM
I am no sw expert but I believe that will work because like you said the skimmer removes proteins out of the water and these can and will get past the bio balls and filter.

Wildisme
02-18-2012, 02:27 AM
That's correct. The skimmer does not skim. It actually uses micro bubbles that bubble to the surface. These bubble carry along with them the microscopic crap that's in your water. It then over flows into the cup where the bubble dissipate and leave behind the brownish gunk u see in the cup.

It doesn't matter where you skim from as long as it is circulating. On the main tank, refugeum, or sump.